SlideMeister.com The Chromatic Oasis - "We're all chromatic, all the time"

Support SlideMeister

Author Topic: Chords on a C solo tuned chromatic harmonica  (Read 1664 times)

drfrancov

Chords on a C solo tuned chromatic harmonica
« on: May 02, 2011, 01:40:14 PM »
So, what are the chords available on a C chromatic solo tuned harmonica?

Offline Grizzly

• MonsterMeister
  • aka Tom
    • Transcriptions
Re: Chords on a C solo tuned chromatic harmonica
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 01:50:36 PM »
C major, D minor 6, which is also a half diminished B minor chord. Of course, their sharp counterparts are also available.

With some careful technique, the Dm6 can be played in just three holes for a Dm, which is also true of a B diminished.

Those are triads or more. Any two notes in adjacent holes can also serve a chord function. Except the double Cs. :P

Tom

BTW, I've used the draw chord as a G9 without the root: (G) B D F A
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 01:53:42 PM by Grizzly »
working on my second 10,000!

triggerfinger

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 03:05:33 PM »
You are asking all the right questions, Drfrancov.

Offline Vern

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Chrome-Meister
    • Hands-Free-Chromatic harmonicas and Ergonomic-Neck-Racks
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 03:23:43 PM »
Most of the chords that accompany  chromatic music involve impossible combinations of blow/draw or button in/out.  Even when you find a chord that you can use for a few measures, you then are unable to find the next chord creating a jarring discontinuity in the music.  

Some play the chord available even though it doesn't go with the melody.  Although harmonizations are not carved into stone, it spoils the music for me when I hear what my ear tells me is the "wrong" chord.

The chording possibilities on a harmonica are so limited that I regard my chromatic as a monophonic instrument and play a guitar at the same time for chords.  IF you want chords, it is possible to play a melody on a chord harmonica..e.g. "Peg-O-My-Heart"

Double-stopping or playing two notes at once is a form of chording that works for a few measures at a time.  Rudy Hung retunes chromatics for specific songs to obtain otherwise impossibly long double-stop phrases or to avoid breath-direction changes for rapid trills and mordents.  If you listen to his Youtube offerings, you will hear double-stop sequences and ornaments that are impossible on a solo-tuned harp.

Vern