SlideMeister.com The Chromatic Oasis - "We're all chromatic, all the time"

Support SlideMeister

Author Topic: Needing a plastic comb for a Hohner Koch:  (Read 4765 times)

bear

Needing a plastic comb for a Hohner Koch:
« on: May 30, 2008, 09:14:54 AM »
Hey guys and gals I have three Hohner Koch harmonicas (two C's and a G). 2 of them have split apart (the comb) in the back where they where put together. The other one looks like its wanting to do the same. I was wondering if anyone knew if any of Hohners other 10 hole chroms with plastic combs would fit the Koch.

I know I will have to drill & tape the Koch reed plates but I'm not wanting to buy 3 combs from Hohner unless I know they will work. Oh and I cannot afford having them custom made with prices running from $50.00 to $150.00 each.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 09:17:49 AM by BillyRay »

Online Grizzly

• MonsterMeister
  • aka Tom
    • Transcriptions
Re: Needing a plastic comb for a Hohner Koch:
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 09:24:34 AM »
I'm unaware of any familiar brand of 10 hole harmonica built on a plastic comb. I would suggest getting the wood combs from Hohner. They'll take some effort to make them work, but they're relatively cheap.

Tom
working on my second 10,000!

mikeboy

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 09:56:59 AM »
I bought a wood one for my Toots recently from Hohner and it was $11.00.

mike

bear

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 10:29:58 AM »
I was afraid you folks was going to say that. If I have to stay with the wooden combs I'll just fill in the cracks with some wood putty. But I sure wouls like to go to plastic.

Hummmmm, wonder how hard it would be to make a comb? I have access to a michine shop. Interesting thought!

Sander

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 10:50:15 AM »
I was afraid you folks was going to say that. If I have to stay with the wooden combs I'll just fill in the cracks with some wood putty. But I sure wouls like to go to plastic.

Hummmmm, wonder how hard it would be to make a comb? I have access to a michine shop. Interesting thought!
Seydel standard is available as a ten holer. I believe the Hohner Educator has a plastic comb. Some Chinese el-cheapo's too. Don't know whether they'll fit a Koch's reedplates, though.

Offline Joe Piccirilli

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 11:22:23 AM »
Hi: This is Joe Picc--Any one interested in a plex comb for a 260  or  270 Hohner I can sell you one for $40.00. You can see a sample in my gallery in slidemeister.I have some already madeup. The 260 will fit a Koch hohner.  Same Comb.  Joe Picc

Online Grizzly

• MonsterMeister
  • aka Tom
    • Transcriptions
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 11:24:54 AM »

Seydel standard is available as a ten holer. I believe the Hohner Educator has a plastic comb. Some Chinese el-cheapo's too. Don't know whether they'll fit a Koch's reedplates, though.
I didn't mention them because the chambers are different. It's unlikely that the reeds would match up.

Tom

bear

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 12:01:29 PM »
Sander I just ordered a Standard from Dave (Elkriver) but I got a 12 holer coming. But thats another interesting thought. Something for me to check into.

bear

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 12:08:13 PM »
Grizzly Mr. Joe Piccirilli says a 260 comb will fit a Koch. I can get one from Hohner for about $12.00. Might be worth just to see if it will fit.

Online Grizzly

• MonsterMeister
  • aka Tom
    • Transcriptions
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 01:48:30 PM »
Grizzly Mr. Joe Piccirilli says a 260 comb will fit a Koch. I can get one from Hohner for about $12.00. Might be worth just to see if it will fit.
Yes, it will. They're essentially the same harmonica. The only differences I know of are that the Koch doesn't have windsavers, the "The Chromonica" (aka 260) does, and the covers have different words on them. The reedplates may or may not be slightly different, reflecting the different tunings (Richter v. solo), but the combs are the same.

That can't be said of the Seydel Standard or the Hohner Educator. The Seydel will likely be the wrong size, because it's likely the mouthplate holes are spaced differently from any other main maker. And both of their combs are made to accommodate reedplates without windsavers, which means the chambers most likely won't line up with a Koch's plates.

Those plastic combs have only two reeds per chamber, and twice as many chambers as a Koch as a result. The Koch has four reeds per chamber, just like its fraternal twin, the 260—and every other slide chromatic harmonica Hohner currently makes other than the Educator.

Good luck in any case. Joe P's offer of a Plexiglas comb would be the answer to your prayers, and you'd end up with a comb that will never dry out or change dimension. IMO, forty bucks is cheap for that comb.

Tom

Offline bloharp

• Chrome-Minator
    • Fathead Musical Instruments
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 03:37:42 PM »
The Koch comb and 260 comb are two different beast.  The Richter tuned Koch has extra partitions between the reeds within a given slot. A 260 will fit but it won't function as well as a comb made for the Koch.

I have a lot of them in stock.  I'm assisting another harp tech at this time to provide plastic replacement combs for the Koch, 260, 270, prewar 280 and Deluxe II chromatics. That is all I can say for now since its a big undertaking and things are in the preproduction stage.  I'll let him make the announcement once they becomes available.  It's his puppy :)
mike
Mike E.

Online Grizzly

• MonsterMeister
  • aka Tom
    • Transcriptions
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 03:51:24 PM »
Mike: I stand (or sit; easier to type) corrected. It sounds like Hohner's attempt to make the valveless Koch more airtight by isolating the reeds. Sounds similar to what Seydel and Educator combs are like; but am I right that the slide on a Koch is perforated the same way as a 260?

Grizzhopper

Offline bloharp

• Chrome-Minator
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 04:33:38 PM »
Yeah Tom,
The parts are basically the same except for the comb including the slide.

mike
Mike E.

bear

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 04:47:34 PM »

Good luck in any case. Joe P's offer of a Plexiglas comb would be the answer to your prayers, and you'd end up with a comb that will never dry out or change dimension. IMO, forty bucks is cheap for that comb.

I have no doubt that Joe's offer is a good one. The only problem  is I have three Koch harmonicas to redo and my only income is my S/S disability and it will be some time before I could invest $120.00 in combs.

Looks like its wood putty time.......... ;D

Offline bloharp

• Chrome-Minator
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 05:16:07 PM »
Billy,
IF you want to do the work yourself I only charge $5 each for the wood combs.
mike
Mike E.

bear

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 06:19:31 PM »
Mike I sent you a PM about the wooden combs.

bear

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 06:24:40 PM »
I have a lot of them in stock.  I'm assisting another harp tech at this time to provide plastic replacement combs for the Koch, 260, 270, prewar 280 and Deluxe II chromatics. That is all I can say for now since its a big undertaking and things are in the preproduction stage.  I'll let him make the announcement once they becomes available.  It's his puppy :)
mike

Mike, any idea when they might become available and a wild guess as to how much they may cost?

Offline bloharp

• Chrome-Minator
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2008, 07:32:54 AM »
I sent him 5 different virgin wood combs this week to use as a template for designing the plastic combs.  He is going to send me a few plastic ones in return.  They aren't being milled.
I will have no control over price or production. I'm just an advisor to the maker. Barring any production or material problems I'm guessing they will be available sometime this summer.  I know he won't market it unless it's right.

mike
Mike E.

bear

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2008, 07:50:01 AM »
Mike please keep us updated as best (or as much as your friend will let you) as you can on this. I'm really interested. And I'm really curious as to the tolerances one can maintain with a casting.