SlideMeister.com The Chromatic Oasis - "We're all chromatic, all the time"

Support SlideMeister

Author Topic: Who played the Wargames theme music?  (Read 3893 times)

Sander

Who played the Wargames theme music?
« on: January 14, 2008, 02:19:55 PM »
Just seen Wargames (1983). Does anyone know who is playing harmonica on the end title music (Edge of the world by - probably - Arthur B. Rubinstein)?
Is it a harmonica at all, or is it a Synclavier with an eerily ahead of its time sample of a harmonica?

(Link to a 55s excerpt)

Mansing

Re: Who played the Wargames theme music?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 04:19:40 PM »
Is it a harmonica at all, or is it a Synclavier with an eerily ahead of its time sample of a harmonica?

Very 'electric', sounds too steady to be a harmonica.  It would be nice though be able to play harmonica like that.

Offline Grizzly

• MonsterMeister
  • aka Tom
    • Transcriptions
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 06:26:20 PM »
The timbre says "chromatic harmonica." There sounds like some shaping of tone going on. IMO.

Tom
working on my second 10,000!

Offline smojoe

• Chrome-Meister
  • virgo
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 06:42:06 PM »
The timbre says chromo, and there is some tone shaping there. Very subtle. Given the year, I would guess Tommy Morgan. But, it's only a guess.

smo-joe

Offline henrymouni

• Henry The TabMeister
  • MasterMeister
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 11:16:05 AM »
Well Smokey was right (it had to happen).
It was Tommy Morgan.
I sent him an e-mail and asked him!!

Henry. :D :D :D

Offline Gnarly He Man

• AKA Gary
  • MonsterMeister
  • Extreme close-up
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 02:09:49 PM »
Oh that Smokey Joe :P
I wanna play harmonica like a machine!not really
Gary
Scary Gary

Offline smojoe

• Chrome-Meister
  • virgo
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 10:26:10 PM »
Hi Sander. you were wondering if it was even a harmonica....at all
Mansing. You were thinking it was too smooth
Gnarley. You would like to play like that.

I have the answer. I have heard many harmonica players in my time and very few can play with such smoothness as to make it seem that the harmonica isn't isn't EVEN a harmonica. While I hate to admit it, Morgan isn't the only one who can do it. I have heard ONE other. There is a player right on this list whom is SO electronical and robotic, that he sounds like a Disklavier. He would be the kind that studios SCREAM for. Tis a shame he doesn't read music.

smokey-joe.

Sander

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 12:44:55 PM »
Thanks for the replies. @henrymouni: I would never have thought of the fact that mr Morgan could have an e-mail address...

A shame, admittedly, I had never heard of Tommy Morgan before. On his website I see his harmonica is part of 550 movie soundtracks, no less! I've heard blazing saddles just now, and there's no mistaking the harmonica for something else there. Maybe the syntheticity some of us perceived in listening to the war games music has - apart from mr. Morgans constant, subtle-embelishments-only playing - to do with how the recording was done?

@smo-joe: of all the players on the list that I have heard play AND who only read by ear, I know no one who sounds electronical and robotic ;) They are all able to sound smooth, and even, but robotic? I've heard only engaging players...

*Sander dives into his DVD-box to re-listen to more soundtracks on mr. Morgan's list*

Offline smojoe

• Chrome-Meister
  • virgo
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 05:53:43 PM »
Hi 'Sand-man'. I didn't mean robotic in a BAD way. He is just so perfect on timing. Never a 15/32nd note..always a half. Never a 47/64th note, always a 3/4. And he adds absolutely NOTHING that doesn't belong.
He gives you ONLY the tune, the real tune, and nothing BUT the tune. He has an extremely steady tone, and I think if I put an occiloscope on his stuff, it would indicate sine waves produced by an electronical synthesized device.

Of course, he CAN embellish, if the need or mood arises. I consider him something of a mystery. The mystery being: Why was he never famous? Perhaps 'life' got in the way. And no names. It's a secret. 

smo-joe

SRM

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 10:16:35 AM »
Hello SlideMeisters
Tommy Morgan can also be heard on the soundtrack to "Ratatouille" which may be up for an Oscar this year. You should also check out "Dances With Wolves". I recently had the honor of visiting him and found him to be a kind and generous man. He can also read and play any written piece of music, with any type,  or speed of vibrato, including absolutely none at all, at any tempo, at any volume, and then turn around and play some dirty blues licks. He seems to have the ability to play anything desired by a composer in one or two takes. All this is the reason why he's so "lucky" to get all those soundtrack gigs.
What I found most interesting is that he doesn't overdub his parts, he sits and plays with the rest of the orchestra.
Peace
Steve Merola

ejacob4

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 05:42:28 PM »
Pleasantly old school.

Ziggy

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 07:24:59 PM »
I have admired the ability to play "clean" ,with out vibrato or other tricks that cover up the little mistakes we make.
Intros like He ain't Heavy, Hes my Brother or Rainy Days and Mondays, blow me away.
Woops ....Guess who did those.
Chuck