Author Topic: Off to the "Meat Locker"  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Age

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
Off to the "Meat Locker"
« on: June 13, 2017, 10:38:30 PM »
Okay,
9:30 am I'll be in the hospital for some right shoulder and index finger surgery. (so I won't be able to raise my harumka OR push the button! AAAAAAGGGHH! Howzatt for a nightmare??

I've been so busy the last few days I almost put myself in the hospital just trying to get EVERYTHING done, cuz I'm gunna pretty much be "out of order/ experiencing technical difficulties" for who knows how long. Yes, I'm already cranky, moody and don't like nothin' or nobody! (But I'll get over it  ::))

Giuliano sent me a video of how to play with just my left hand, but the problem is that I'm right handed and I can't play backwards like he does. ;D  I'm so uncoordinated with my left hand I probably shouldn't even try scratching my nose cuz I'll risk puttin' my eye out! I'm terminally right handed and using the other hand is (just for now - I hope) totally confusing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LXeg7tthZ4&list=UUlvtrenG5x_vnbq-3VMz8Ww&index=1    I don't even know where the right holes are on my harumka.

Okay, I just un-tuned my guitars and tried to do everything I can think of that requires the use of my right arm and hand. Okay, here we go then. :P

I don't need any "Positive vibes or good thoughts and wishes", but I would appreciate some genuine prayer, Amen? 

Okay, I'm outtahere.  We'll see how it goes after the surgery. I may not be to talkative but I'll probably be around. 8)

@ge
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:56:24 PM by SlideMeister »
CONTACT A.J.Fedor with MeisterMail or click the MeisterMail globe on left

Offline Blowout

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Tributor
  • In woodshed detention
Re: Off to the "Meat Locker"
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 12:17:45 AM »
I don't need any "Positive vibes or good thoughts and wishes", but I would appreciate some genuine prayer, Amen? 

Better to not need "Positive vibes or good thoughts and wishes" and have them, than to need them and not get them.
So, positive vibes and good wishes to you, Age.

cheers Howard

Offline iowaplayer

• Chrome-Minator
  • Trio Type
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 01:20:51 AM »
inshallah!

"Allah-humma adhhib il-ba's, Rabb Al-naas, washfi anta Al-Shaafi laa shifaaA illa shifaa'uka shifaaAn Iaa yughaadriur saqaman."

"O Allah, Lord of mankind!  Remove our suffering.  Heal us as You are the healer and none can heal but You.  I beg You to  bring about healing that leaves behind no ailment!"

ip
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have lots of GREAT ideas!

Offline jimjams

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
  • Every note counts
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 01:28:24 AM »
Praying for you Age.
James
Musical artistry comes via a relentless pursuit of beauty.

Offline Keith

• HELPER
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 02:37:48 AM »
Wishing you a speedy recovery. ;)

Offline Mick

• HELPER
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 03:01:38 AM »
I'll raise a special prayer for Age. All the best.

Offline Crawforde

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 07:48:10 AM »
Get well soon chief.
Just thinking of you sitting on the porch playing a suck harp left handed is hurting me.

Seriously,  I laughed so hard I hurt myself. ;)

Ok, really serious this time.  We've got your back.  Heal up before we get out of control around here.

How about digging  out a G or D and playing  some slow mellow stuff without the button?  That usually goes well with pain pills.

Offline PoTTerTea

• Chrome-Minator
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 10:21:11 AM »
When ever I am ill and cant play I listen to my recorded stuff and find out what i am doing wrong so that I can fix them when I am well again, but I am sure you don't have any problems with your playing anyway just a thought. Good luck with your Surgery.

Best Regards
Tom.
Keep Calm And Harp On

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MasterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
    • Myspace.com/elizabethgs
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 12:14:52 PM »
Rats! I fell asleep at the computer and didn't see this till now. Drat!

SO sorry I didn't send you a timely message Before your surgery this morning. Right now I'm guessing you're in recovery, very woozy or still asleep.
You should know that all of us are thinking about you and wishing you a very speedy recovery....which will frustrate you to no end having limited or
 no use of the right hand/arm. While sending a prayer is a given, you HAVE to obey your surgeon as to just how long the down-time will be. Please
don't rush it, and when he allows you, then do everything your therapist demands (no matter how tough). It's the only way to get back full use--so
 you can play again, and I know that's extremely important to your life.

Also - remember Age, any medications they give you can increase the possibility of a stumble or fall. I fell right on my wrist, immediately after the
cast was cut down--so ended up causing tons more damage which persists. Baby yourself until you're entirely better, although I know that'll be hard
for you. Let one of your sons help out, listen to your body and stay put! I'm still in pain two years later because I undid the work my doctor did. Hard
lesson to learn for someone who types/plays keyboard and chromatic harmonica, paints, knits and now suffers doing every single one of those things.
Please don't end up like me--that's my best advice.

We're all praying for you, some in our/their own way. It all counts because it's deeply felt.

Love and hugs to you and Barbara,

Scotty

Offline wolfman

• Chrome-Meister
  • If you have no "slick", you stick.
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 12:52:49 PM »
All the best to you Meister.

Roman

Offline Rich35

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 03:36:52 PM »

AJ
  Prayers and all the best  :o

Offline Age

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 01:19:41 PM »
Home  - hurtin and cranky :)

Took that monster sling off to change into my good my shirt and try to smile.
Five holes and one incision in the shoulder, and one incision to fix my ever so precious button pushin' finger. ;D  Doc sed it was the worst case of bone spur he ever saw. Over three hours on spur/decompression and two tendon repairs, and ten minutes on the trigger finger.  Nerve blocker hasn't completely worn off yet so the real "party" hasn't started yet.

Other than that, it certainly is a nice day in Cleveland, aye! 8)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 01:39:26 PM by SlideMeister »

Offline Crawforde

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 01:34:23 PM »
 ;D
It's Nice to see you on your feet!

Offline wolfman

• Chrome-Meister
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 01:37:48 PM »
Good to have you back.

Roman

Offline Age

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 01:48:54 PM »
Yeah, I'm back, but I'm not gunna be real "back" except to let new members in and a few comments here and there. :-[   I probably won't even be monitoring too close so I'll leave it up to you guys to stay smoochy and to play nice. :-*

Oh yeah, and thanks much for the prayers. I REALLY appreciate those a lot! Love you guys!

Cranky old Age

Offline wolfman

• Chrome-Meister
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 02:51:59 PM »
Ok,so get uncracket.haha ;D

Roman

Offline iowaplayer

• Chrome-Minator
  • Trio Type
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 03:48:32 PM »
glad yer back age!   remember: healing first, playing second, keyboarding third!

:)

ip
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have lots of GREAT ideas!

Offline jimjams

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
  • Every note counts
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2017, 04:14:26 PM »
You look maahvelous!  :)
James
Musical artistry comes via a relentless pursuit of beauty.

Offline Age

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2017, 07:30:24 PM »
;D

Like the socks? Oh, under my jammies, I'm wearing those compression leotard things they make us old farts wear so we don't get   blood clots.  Makes me look like a fruit loop on my way to the bolshoi ballet. ;D

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MasterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2017, 01:11:07 AM »
Home  - hurtin and cranky :)

Took that monster sling off to change into my good my shirt and try to smile.
Five holes and one incision in the shoulder, and one incision to fix my ever so precious button pushin' finger. ;D  Doc sed it was the worst case of bone spur he ever saw. Over three hours on spur/decompression and two tendon repairs, and ten minutes on the trigger finger.  Nerve blocker hasn't completely worn off yet so the real "party" hasn't started yet.

Other than that, it certainly is a nice day in Cleveland, aye! 8)
The hand's supposed to be UP above your heart -  Get that sling back on now! --oh boy, when that nerve block wears off it ain't gonna be fun, not even a tiny little bit.
Don't type--even with the left hand you'll be tensing up and focusing too hard on the keyboard --not worth it. Either Barb can type for you, or use voice commands IF
you insist, but otherwise let it heal! You'll seriously regret being 'too tough' with this particular surgery. It has to be allowed to heal properly and if you undo any of
the work he did it'll not be fun at all, please trust me on that at least?
If you can tolerate ice packs (they're good to reduce the swelling and help cut down some of the pain level), then good. It's beginning to get hot this time of year so
might feel pretty great all around. I hope you have a good Father's Day in spite of this --but don't dare DO anything. Let others take over temporarily. It won't be that
long and you deserve the rest.

Hugs,
Scotty

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MasterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2017, 02:38:52 AM »
;D

Like the socks? Oh, under my jammies, I'm wearing those compression leotard things they make us old farts wear so we don't get   blood clots.  Makes me look like a fruit loop on my way to the bolshoi ballet. ;D
Now THAT's funny, lolol At least you still have your sense of humour. A good thing under the circumstances!

I'm up late and here --because I will not be able to sleep tonight so need some distractions: this afternoon Fred came in all in a tither to tell me he needed me outside 'now'!
 - throw on the sneakers and rush (well, walk slowly) out to the back patio --right outside the back door we have a squared off interesting looking log 'rack'. Unlike most
others, this one comes with doors (with openings cut into them). It's a very good looking piece --so can stay there year round (we use the wood for the firepit in the Summer).
 It has a waterproof (heavyweight) cover which velcros shut. Koda (our dog) wouldn't leave off trying to squeeze his long doggy snoot underneath it today--then Fred heard
 what sounded like a baby kitten crying. Since we do have birds here which make a similar sound I didn't assume it was a kitten - at first. Then, just as I got outside and we
 gingerly began unloading the logs, the wee bugger shot OUT from underneath, across both patios, up the grassy hill (where Koda goes to do his 'business') and under a tree
 where he screamed for his mommy for the next few minutes until I located him again. I had Fred bring me a paper plate with some kitty food, hoping that IF he/she(?) ate it,
 at least I'd know the kitten was old enough to be weaned. He sure moved fast enough. It took some patience, he carefully inched towards the dish of salmon (that'll get 'em
 every time); then hungrily dived in. This is easy to eat food - works for older cats and obviously young ones. But as soon as I shifted position he took off, trying to get through
 the chainlink fence into the schoolyard. I didn't want to lose him in there (there are some predators (mostly big dogs )afoot), so lunged for him, and caught him! Unfortunately,
 I had donned only my fairly light-weight gardening gloves and he assumed he was being eaten by a snake or something --so bit down hard right through the glove into my
 knuckle. Yowch! That smarts! I had to let go --didn't have a solid grasp of him and he was going to hurt himself struggling so hard. So he flings himself past me --a blur since
 I'm still wearing reading glasses, and now we searched our entire property -until Koda stuck his nose back under the same log holder and we realized the munchkin was now
back IN there but now hollering for his mother as if demons were after him.

So that's what I've been doing--and just came in from sitting outside talking to him again --all while he hollers bloody murder with the occasional (very funny) tiny kitten
growls from inside the logs. It's still a bit chilly here at night for such a young kitten without his family--and since I have no idea where his mommy or siblings might be, of
course I feel responsible for his life. If I can tame this wee furry beast he just might end up as the newest addition to our family (since I was contemplating getting a kitten for
Percy - to help redirect his considerable energy), and this new little one just may be it. That's IF he'll come out from under/inside the rack and allow me to catch him, get him
to the vet to be checked over.
 Sigh. THIS is the story of my life--except I was a whole lot younger when I brought in, de-feralized and adopted the last bunch of 'born in my backyard' kittens. 17 years ago,
in fact. Two are still here, although a bit frail. He's just too small to be alone, and yet might already be too feral.  :o

So that's where I'll be, on and off for the next day and night or so--until/unless something changes. EVERY hour or so. Sigh.

Elizabeth (scotty)
Wait..want a kitten? Might speed up your recovery? hahahahaha
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 02:46:36 AM by Scotty »

Offline Blowout

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Tributor
  • In woodshed detention
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2017, 02:44:08 AM »
You're looking pretty buff there Age! Take it easy, we promise to be good while your hand's off the wheel.

cheers Howard

Offline Keith

• HELPER
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2017, 04:13:49 AM »
Hope that salmon isn't too rich for little kitty's stomach. ;)

(Most of our pets have 'found' us, & just decided to stay.)

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MasterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2017, 03:03:29 PM »
Hope that salmon isn't too rich for little kitty's stomach. ;)

(Most of our pets have 'found' us, & just decided to stay.)

It's Fancy Feast -- a tiny can - which I get for my older two girls who do have sensitive tummies. I had nothing else available for such a teensy baby, except for
hard kibble kitten food (which I also give to the older girls since it gives them - and nursing mothers - extra calcium and vitamins they seem to need). Most of
my cats are very long-lived so I guess so far that's working, but I agree about the salmon. Today we're in the middle of an absolute deluge --I must have dozed
off for an hour or so this morning --awoke to find the pool guys here, who said that they'd noticed a small kitten in the gazebo - whom they'd accidentally
scared out of there and he/she disappeared into the 'woods'. We've no idea if it's the same baby who yelled all night up at the house. I sat outside half the night
with him--hoping at least that if/when I have to go looking for him, he'll recognize my voice. He did eat some of the food --both the salmon and the kitten
crunchies, so that's a plus...I hope! But like you, I worried if it would be too much for his tummy. :( I wanted to pick up a lot of kitten supplies today, but Fred
doesn't want to go out in this downpour. Naturally I'm still worried about the baby...but I do this with baby finches, squirrels, even voles too! I've long said that
there's a sign on the back of my house written large 'in cat' "bring me your poor, your tired, your hungry, yearning to be fed"! Because they all, somehow end up
stopping by and deciding to check in and stay. I'm not big on indoor/outdoor cats (not a good thing over here since 'some' people consider it fair game to hurt
other people's animals, so prefer my own to stay entirely indoors. I haven't had any cat in at least 20 years try to escape. Percy, especially--runs for cover even
when close friends and family come by--he's absolutely SURE they're here to kidnap him (in all his gloriousness). He's fat and orange, very cute and lovable--sticks
to me like glue ever since he was brought over by a neighbor as a teeny baby, something he still believes he is. Hmm 'fat and orange and full of himself'. ;)

Like you, most of mine adopt us instead of the other way around. I love that. The last cat I adopted from a shelter --must have been over 30 years ago! Every
single one since then was either born in my garden, or brought right to me --even by their feral mothers. My two old girls are the last of a litter of four feral babies
whose mommy wouldn't let me touch or feed her, but she grudgingly consented to nurse them outside my door on the old deck, then would watch carefully as I
interacted with, fed and socialized her babies as she began weaning them. She then decided I was 'safe', brought them for the last time--almost let me pet her,
licked the wee ones all over, then left forever. I took them in --and they've lived here ever since. That was 2000. But my longest lived girl - JenniPurr was one of
two (also stray) kittens born in an in-law's garage. We took one, my brother and his wife the other. My girl lived to 23 years old. Not bad, but somehow I miss her
even more since she was such a major part of my life. I've had 14 cats in my home at one time --and that lasted for a few chaotic years, but mostly we averaged
8 - 10 at a time. Now is the least number I've ever had - 3. :( The house feels empty.

I don't prefer tiny babies --but would rather (if getting one to keep Percy company once the two older girls are gone), to rescue a cat of similar age to him (4 - 5).
The local shelters are inundated at this time of year...everyone else wants kittens so the older cats are left on the shelf.

Elizabeth (scotty)
PS: still don't know if the kitten seen this morning was my guy or a sibling. I'm hoping the latter and that they finally reconnected. I'll go out again later to search
 but am cold and wet, and exceedingly tired right now. This is June in NY! It should be perfect weather!

Offline Keith

• HELPER
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2017, 03:40:02 PM »
Apologies for us side tracking your thread, AJ - hope you manage to get some sleep, & not too much pain.

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MasterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2017, 03:56:57 PM »
Apologies for us side tracking your thread, AJ - hope you manage to get some sleep, & not too much pain.
It's ok- he knows it was meant to 'sidetrack' him from his pain and thinking about what he's going through right now. I think he gets it. ;) I know he is chomping at the bit
to jump in and post--and the idea is that we can certainly police ourselves, 'talk amongst ourselves' without anyone going off the deep end, and give him something to read
 --all while he recovers. He's known for not obeying doctor's orders (to his detriment).

I appreciate that he's a tough guy, but right now he has to heal, and keeping him entertained is the idea, lol. Especially so he can keep this forum going indefinitely.

He still (as does Danny), chop his own wood AND heats his house with it. Maybe it's the Ohio in their blood, but there's a time to have someone else do that kind of hard work,
especially with a bum shoulder and hands.  Don't think he's going to be doing much of it for quite a while (I hope)! ::)

Elizabeth (scotty)

Offline Edward Brock

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Meister
  • I Love That Sound
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2017, 08:29:09 AM »
;D

Well, age, when I look at your pix & listen to your leotard story
I get his vision in my head and hear ZZ Top playing Sharp Dressed Man.
That'll keep a person up at night.

Offline Keith

• HELPER
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2017, 09:58:36 AM »
We seem to be in the middle of a heat wave over here, (in the UK), just sitting around & trying to not get too hot, can't really practice either, else I'd probably fill it up with sweat, let alone spit.

Offline Edward Brock

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Meister
  • I Love That Sound
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 01:34:40 PM »
We seem to be in the middle of a heat wave over here, (in the UK), just sitting around & trying to not get too hot, can't really practice either, else I'd probably fill it up with sweat, let alone spit.

How hot is it there Keith?
Phoenix Arizona was 116 yesterday
and planes were grounded.
Probably because the tire might
not handle the heat upon landing.
I hope my A/C holds up.

Offline Keith

• HELPER
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 02:50:11 PM »
Today is 86 - our Summers used to be 66 - but now we seem to average around 75.

The trouble for us is, one day it's 66, the next it's 80+, then it might drop back to 56 the following day!

We just don't get a chance to acclimatise......... ;)