Author Topic: Texas SlideMeisters?  (Read 908 times)

Offline jpkelly

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
  • Dying Since 1951
    • www.jpkelly.info
Texas SlideMeisters?
« on: April 18, 2017, 09:08:41 AM »
We're still trying to figure out where we can afford to retire  :-\ :o ??? . Now Texas is in the mix. If you would like to offer any Texan-like relocation advice please send me a message or email me at: john@jpkelly.info

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 09:56:43 AM by jpkelly »
Secure Contact - John Kelly or click the MeisterMail globe on left

Online Danny G

• Happiness is a New Harmonica
  • PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MasterMeister
  • Danny G
    • New Harmonica
Re: Texas SlideMeisters?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 09:47:27 AM »
Look up HOOT - Harmonica Organization Of Texas

Offline jpkelly

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
  • Dying Since 1951
    • www.jpkelly.info
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 09:57:20 AM »
Thanks Danny, I'll give them a toot.

Offline wolfman

• Chrome-Meister
  • If you have no "slick", you stick.
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 03:14:49 PM »
Look at Canyon Lake in the hill country of Tx.

Roman

Offline jpkelly

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
  • Dying Since 1951
    • www.jpkelly.info
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 07:41:41 AM »
Thanks Roman, will do.

JP

Offline Ed McCullough

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Chrome-Meister
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 12:50:57 AM »
Although I've been in Texas since 1979, I don't know the place well. I did drive through Alpine, Texas once and liked the cooler climate that comes from being at a relatively high altitude. I have no idea what other amenities or faults Alpine has. You will have to drive a long distance to get to the next town closest to Alpine, but that could be part of the beauty of it. There's no oversupply of tourists either.        Once I was in Durango, Mexico and loved being able to be there without a street hawker trying to sell me a beach towel.            Probably the stars at night in Alpine are spectacular due to low humidity and high altitude.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 02:12:28 AM by Ed McCullough »

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MasterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
    • Myspace.com/elizabethgs
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 02:45:33 PM »
We're still trying to figure out where we can afford to retire  :-\ :o ??? . Now Texas is in the mix. If you would like to offer any Texan-like relocation advice please send me a message or email me at: john@jpkelly.info

Thanks!
Hi JP: I've stated a few times my best friend moved to 'The Woodlands' which is basically in the vicinity of Spring, Texas...although the residents want to have their own zip code and town designation (so their extremely high taxes paid to the surrounding towns can be removed from their bills. (It was a deal the builder of the Woodlands struck with the towns in order to get the extra land he needed to construct this enormous (and gorgeous) community. There are several communities within the Woodlands, some quite high-end, others much more affordable. Each has their own school systems, transport, police, fire and hospital systems. It's a beautiful place to live --especially for those coming from the East...my friend isn't a fan of the extreme Texas heat and the vast amount of forested areas still within the Woodlands tends to keep the heat at bay. The people who live there seem to be very cosmopolitan--you might find more New Yorkers there than Texans.

Austin, Texas is known to be 'the' music town (and more low-key, financially--as far as I know). I've mentioned Michael Rubin a few times here: he lives there. I've never been to Austin but it's known for arts and music and its general laissez-faire attitude.

San Antonio was very interesting last year at Spah, but I didn't get to see enough of it given that it poured (a veritable deluge) for the 3 days we chose to stay over after Spah to 'see the sights'. Hah! Even the Hotel had closed off sections due to the flooding. A washout, and a bummer. We did NOT enjoy the drive back to Houston (to catch our flight home and to turn in the rental car). The roads in that area of Houston are very complicated and difficult to negotiate. I used to think the LIE was bad. No more.

This is all of Texas that I know--haven't yet been to Dallas, but Spah has held several conventions there so I'm sure someone could talk about it.

Elizabeth (scotty)

Offline Edward Brock

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Meister
  • I Love That Sound
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 05:24:31 PM »
One of the best things about living in Texas from Austin on down South is
the Snow.. It Mostly comes in the form of Snow-Cones.. Yummy !! :)

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MasterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 02:25:54 AM »
One of the best things about living in Texas from Austin on down South is
the Snow.. It Mostly comes in the form of Snow-Cones.. Yummy !! :)

LOL, that's funny, Ed. That sure is one thing you have year-round that we don't have in New York (especially up where JP lives)...cold and snow. I really enjoyed the first few days in San Antonio, it's that the rain kept us from getting to do anything afterwards. :(

I just saw my favourite musician in the World Peter White last night at the Madison Theatre of Molloy College, here on Long Island. It was a brilliant show --and he even played his 270 chromatic twice (!) during the show --which is very cool. Anyway, I was checking out his itinerary, and it seems he had JUST been in San Antonio! If he happens to play in your town again, I couldn't recommend going to see him more...it's a wonderful show and you'll be making friends and singing along (as the entire audience ends up doing). I'm still waiting for someone to post a youtube video of his harmonica playing--the woman who promised to put it up, hasn't yet, but I have hopes. :D

Elizabeth (scotty)

Offline jpkelly

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
  • Dying Since 1951
    • www.jpkelly.info
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 01:41:41 PM »
Thank you, Scotty. Ed has also provide some valuable information, off line. Gee, I'd sure settle for a few snow cones rather than the average 110".  :-[

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MasterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 02:13:13 PM »
Thank you, Scotty. Ed has also provide some valuable information, off line. Gee, I'd sure settle for a few snow cones rather than the average 110".  :-[
For sure! When we were almost at San Antonio last year (driving from Houston), the car registered the outside temp at 120+ !!! Methinks 110 is for wimps, Texas-style, hahaha. Bring on the snow cones! :)

SO many people who planned to go on the Riverwalk (from our Spah Hotel), postponed or hastened right back to the Hotel because of the extreme heat. I decided to wait until after the Convention was over since we had 3 extra days to enjoy the City. It turned out that it was pouring in Arizona too (Monsoon season), and my husband brought it back with him....so it was a veritable deluge --washing out the Riverwalk the day we did set out to experience it (even the boats were washed out so the walk was long and very soggy/mildewy). The balcony of our Hotel looked as if it were under Niagara Falls...making it almost impossible to do anything but hole up in our room. Yet the previous week had been bright and sunny. Sigh. The one time I make it a point to enjoy the Spah City, this happens. Story of my life, lol.

Elizabeth (scotty)

Offline smojoe

• MasterMeister
  • virgo
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 05:35:16 PM »
 Highest temp. recorded on earth = 136.1 degrees Fahrenheit.

126.1 in Palm desert Cal. Tolerable. It's a dry heat. BUT you feel as if someone had poured an entire box of Panko in your sinus'. And if you don't grease yourself down with spf 38 suntan lotion, your skin takes on the appearance of a bowl of pork rinds snack chips. Or you could wear a canvas body suit.

116.1 in Yuma Ariz. Intolerable. The wind coming across the prarie will sandblast your face, and you take on the appearance of someone with full body psoriasis.

106.1 in Houston Texas. Tolerable. When it's hot, it's also usually dry. When it's not, it's usually wet.

96.1 in Baton Rouge Louisiana. Intolerable. Too humid.

86.1 in North Port Florida. Intolerable. But only during the rainy season. When the humidity is like 95.6......THOUSAND...percent. Unfortunately when the rains come, the electric grid turns to stone. Apparently they are building faster than they can supply air conditioning. We are at the far corner of the country and we get the electric after it has been used by everyone else. Right now it is 76.1 degrees outside, I just cleaned the pool filter, and I feel as if someone hit me in the face with a sopping wet hot mattress.

smo-joe   

Offline jpkelly

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
  • Dying Since 1951
    • www.jpkelly.info
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 06:45:22 PM »
Lol. Perhaps I should have been more specific and said: " Gee, I'd sure settle for a few snow cones rather than the average 110" of snow that we get...not degrees.  :-[ :-[

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MasterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 01:35:41 AM »
Lol. Perhaps I should have been more specific and said: " Gee, I'd sure settle for a few snow cones rather than the average 110" of snow that we get...not degrees.  :-[ :-[

Aaah! I missed that! lol --should've known --you get even more snow than we do out here (and we got a HUGE blinding snowstorm not so long ago which drifted up to several feet against the house). It's also colder up where you are ...compared to Long Island which is mitigated somewhat having water on each side (I'm only about 10 minutes from the nearest 'beach' (or what passes for one). At first the Texas (or Florida) heat feels good compared to our NY Winters, but quite rapidly you long for cooler temps when exposed to the extreme heat out there. Hubby loves it - can handle any level of heat but I simply can't adjust so am prone to heat exhaustion and all that comes with it. I'm still looking for 'somewhere' to perhaps find a second place we can spend the Winters  --where it's nice and warm but not 'too' hot. Texas and Florida are still on my list only because I have friends living in both States.

Elizabeth (scotty)

Offline wolfman

• Chrome-Meister
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 11:59:32 AM »
Think seriously about New Mexico. Beautiful country, mountains and desert. Roswell is 3,500 feet above sea level, on the high plains. Lovely moderate winters, need a heavy coat once or twice a year in average winter. Las Cruces the same. Albuquerque 5200 feet above sea level, a little more winter but not bad. Might need a heavy coat a couple of times when snow reaches down from higher elevations. Summer in southern New Mexico hot but VERY dry. More moderate up higher. Most of the time don't have to warm up chromatic harmonica. Moderately low cost of living.

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MasterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 06:07:32 PM »
Think seriously about New Mexico. Beautiful country, mountains and desert. Roswell is 3,500 feet above sea level, on the high plains. Lovely moderate winters, need a heavy coat once or twice a year in average winter. Las Cruces the same. Albuquerque 5200 feet above sea level, a little more winter but not bad. Might need a heavy coat a couple of times when snow reaches down from higher elevations. Summer in southern New Mexico hot but VERY dry. More moderate up higher. Most of the time don't have to warm up chromatic harmonica. Moderately low cost of living.
Y'know, Roman --that sounds DARN good! It's funny (ironic, funny), but not so long ago I did scan some homes for sale in New Mexico --but had no idea about the towns, or in which areas to look. HE loves Arizona --and we love Indian pottery and rugs, so New Mexico might be the perfect solution since it's too hot there for me. The elevation might be a wee bit of a problem for me though--do you have any difficulty playing harmonica at high elevations? I remember when Spah was held in Denver. As beautiful as it was (and the Hotel was gorgeous too), so many players simply couldn't get enough air to play their regular way. It affected me too and I had the same problem at the Grand Canyon. I might need to look at lower elevations--hopefully warm and dry and somewhere I could have my own (even small) swimming pool. It's one of the few exercises which helps almost everything wrong with me. :)

Appreciate your input!

Elizabeth (scotty)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 06:10:10 PM by Scotty »

Offline wolfman

• Chrome-Meister
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 07:58:16 PM »
Las Cruces is a little higher in elevation than Roswell. Also a lot busier. Closer to a big town--El Paso. We lived in Roswell almost 30 years. Most people don't have to adjust to 3,500 ft elevation. It is hot in summer, but cools off significantly in the evening. Most of the time AC can be turned off and windows opened. Lovely winters. 50,000 plus population. Quite cosmopolitan as it is favored place of retirement for military. Our Bible study group had one woman from Mexico City, one from Seoul, a retired Air Force colonel, woman from Finland, one from New Zealand and me from Croatia. One problem for easterners is Roswell is 200 miles from bigger cities, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Lubbock, TX and El Paso, TX. Personally we liked it. Moved there from Michigan in 1973. Only moved to Abq area because three of the kids are here. You know about house exchanges, right?  How we travel in Europe. We could do a week exchange with you if you'd possibly be interested - in the winter - to see what you think of the higher mountains. It is a nice place to retire. Lovely weather. Low humidity. Little rain. No pollution except few days in Abq in winter. Low cost of living.  I have no problems with harmonicas even at this altitude. Private email rdlwolf@msn.com

Offline jpkelly

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
  • Dying Since 1951
    • www.jpkelly.info
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 08:23:21 AM »
Yes, thank you Roman. You've provided some great information.  New Mexico was actually my first choice but for some reason Kathy isn't keen about it. It sounds like perhaps the weather is in-between Arizona and Texas. (like it's location, Ha Ha).

Offline Age

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 12:57:32 PM »
Yeah, good info Roman! :)
CONTACT A.J.Fedor with MeisterMail or click the MeisterMail globe on left

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MasterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 01:27:01 PM »
Yes, thank you Roman. You've provided some great information.  New Mexico was actually my first choice but for some reason Kathy isn't keen about it. It sounds like perhaps the weather is in-between Arizona and Texas. (like it's location, Ha Ha).

Exactly! I'm now seriously reconsidering NM too. :)

Elizabeth (scotty)

Offline Edward Brock

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Meister
  • I Love That Sound
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 02:24:46 PM »
You could do worse.  Take Laredo Texas for example.
Early this week it was 101 in Laredo. And it's not even
the Hot season yet..

Offline Age

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2017, 08:07:26 PM »
How's the water situation out there?  I know for sure that the thing I'd miss about Ohio, (especially my house out here in Amish country) is the water. My well produces close to 40 GPM of sparkling 54 degree water.  8)
CONTACT A.J.Fedor with MeisterMail or click the MeisterMail globe on left

Offline wolfman

• Chrome-Meister
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2017, 08:48:24 PM »
New Mexico is desert. One good river - the Rio Grande. Two big reservoirs on that river. Reservoir on the Pecos  River near Carlsbad and one near Fort Sumner. In drought years we conserve. We have a lovely cool well at our home. I suppose in really bad years it could go dry. We've lived here almost 50 years. Have seen years when ranchers sell off livestock. It takes 30-40 acres to feed one head. Again, it is desert. We trade one thing for another. The mountains are beautiful. Me they're usually snow covered in winter. Runoff fills the rivers.

Offline Edward Brock

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Meister
  • I Love That Sound
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2017, 04:32:20 PM »
How's the water situation out there?  I know for sure that the thing I'd miss about Ohio, (especially my house out here in Amish country) is the water. My well produces close to 40 GPM of sparkling 54 degree water.  8)

Water is Texas changes from one area to another.
Cities water is safe to drink. Kinda sorta mostly.
In winter the water comes out of the tap cold.
In the Summer it comes out hot.
But Always wet..  ;)
I would suspect New Mexico is pretty much the same.

Offline Ed McCullough

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Chrome-Meister
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2017, 01:00:05 AM »
Wolfman,
   When I lived in El Paso about 1979, I had no idea Clyde Tombaugh was alive and over in Las Cruces. Doggone. I would have made some excuse to stumble across him.
   Maybe people don't know who Clyde Tombaugh was.  What about Roger Bannister? I guess knowledge of those names is going out with the fountain pen.   
    A couple weeks ago a woman expressed strong surprise that I did not know who Celine Dion was. I turned the situation around and threw other musical names at her. She didn't know Carlos Gardel, Astor Piazzolla, Erik Satie and certainly not Hugo Diaz. I couldn't think of Vernon Dalhart, not at all known but musically significant. His one and only hit, Prisoner's Song, was recorded over and over through the decades.
   Those are all male names, so it would have been fair to mention Marlene Dietrich and Ute Lemper.
                E
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 01:04:58 AM by Ed McCullough »

Offline smojoe

• MasterMeister
  • virgo
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2017, 01:15:45 PM »

Hey J.P. back on subject. When choosing a place to retire, a number of important considerations come into play. Then there are some that are not important.
1... Availability to health care.....important to elder people
2... Jobs.....Not so important
3... Public transportation.....Important if you have driving restrictions. (like ...CAN't)
4... Shopping (food).....Important
5... "    (other junk) .....Not so important
6... Schools (higher).....Not so important
7...Schools (lower)  .....Not so important
8...Water                .....VERY important
9...Cost of living      .....Only important if you are poor
10. Crime rate         ....."     "     "     "
11. Taxes                ....."     "     "     "

There are a lot more, but this is just an idea. Retired people fall into groups just as does everyone else. Your situation is different from someone who HAS to work, has to send children off to school, has to be able to drive (usually to work), and has to adhere to a strict budget. For example: one particular place was mentioned. It is a HIGH END community, and someone like myself couldn't possible live there. If for no other reason than income. I live in an area where it is twice my household income. I manage to do this by owning our home outright and paying no mortgage. :)

Here in my area there are 3 kinds of people.
a.... retired, have a pension, don't need to work, are usually too old to get out of their own way. They come from (predominately) central mid states.
Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, WESTERN Pa., W. Va., Ky., Ill.
b.... wealthy people, don't need to work,are all ages. They come from the east & west coasts mostly.
c.... workers, need to work, are usually from: Tenn., Alab., Ga., Miss., La., Mexico. Are usually less educated country folk. They do all the work.

smo-joe

Offline jpkelly

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
  • Dying Since 1951
    • www.jpkelly.info
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2017, 09:19:13 AM »

smo-joe,

Points well taken, thanks. According to U.S. News & World Report we fall into the "Working Class". The working class falls at the lowest end of the middle-class spectrum. We are employed in blue-collar industries or are paid by the hour. We typically have lower levels of education. Having been a civil servant for most of my adult life I guess that's me. It's also my preferred social company. 

Looking at your list I'd like to find someplace:
1. Health care. Reasonably close.
2. Jobs - I may go out to stud if I must.
3. Public transportation - Near a bus line would be nice.
4. Shopping (food) - I'm a disgusting glutton so that's important.
5. Shopping, other. No importance, We're minimalist.
6. Schools. No importance and don't want to pay for them.
7. Water. Important.
8. Cost of Living. Important.
9. Crime rate. We don't want to live in the hood.
10.Taxes. Goes without saying.You're right smo-joe, there are others.

I could put up with some of the undesirable stuff if:
1. Kathy liked it.
2. I was close to a group that I could play harmonica with.
3. Was silent other than nature sounds.
4. Everyone was friendly and helpful but not nosey.
5. Was sunny 365 days of the year. No snow whatsoever. Winter is for one month and drops into the 50's.
6. Was close to a non-denominational church that doesn't fill the seats by having a blow-out rock star media event on stage.

At least I'm not fussy or bitter.  ;) ;)
jp

Offline jpkelly

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
  • Dying Since 1951
    • www.jpkelly.info
United States of Meisters
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 08:53:20 AM »
Many thanks to those that provided so much great information about Texas, New Mexico & Florida!  It is truly helpful. It seems that I won't be a neighbor of Ed or smojoe as Kathy has poo-pooed those states, at least for now. I just came back from a whirlwind three day tour of southern Virginia and Northern North Carolina and Tennessee.  Are there any meisters able to give me some insight regarding winters around there?  Maybe I should just say what I'm looking for; I'm not worried about hot summers because I can still be outdoors somehow. However I need to be able to be putz around outdoors as much as possible in the winter, even if it's somewhat cold (40's). A dusting of snow is ok as long it doesn't have an seasonal average of 100+ inches like here. I beginning to wonder if such a place exists. I'm not too worried about sunshine because almost anywhere on the planet has more than here. Gee, if we were rich we could just jet-set all over the place; oh wait, I don't like to fly anymore either. jp
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 03:55:03 PM by jpkelly »

Offline gvelasco

• HELPER
  • Chrome-Tributor
  • Wannabe
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 07:07:00 PM »
Another nice thing about Texas is that it's an open carry state, so if you like to carry your 16 hole in a pocket or on a harmonica holster on your belt, you won't get stopped if someone mistakes it for a gun. ;-)
-=Gabriel=-

Offline wolfman

• Chrome-Meister
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2017, 08:26:24 PM »
Also in New Mexlco.

Roman