Author Topic: Best place to buy a Swan 1248-7 in the UK?  (Read 213 times)

Offline Jonf

• Baby Button Pusher
Best place to buy a Swan 1248-7 in the UK?
« on: September 13, 2017, 04:29:48 AM »
Hi,

after scouring these forums for a couple of days, consensus seems to be that the Swan 1248-7 is a decent starter instrument but I can't seem to find any for sale, apart from the Swan site itself which wants to charge me $50 for international shipping;
there are a couple of models with the squarer mouth pieces in China but I guess these aren't the 7's-
any ideas or links folks?

cheers

Offline John Broecker

• Time Traveler (Drummer)
  • MasterMeister
  • Reggae Musician Bob Marley.
Re: Best place to buy a Swan 1248-7 in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 04:47:40 AM »
In the USA,

www.swanmusicstore.com

Best Regards

JB
Every time I play harmonica, it weakens the nation.

Offline streetlegal

• Chrome-Meister
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 05:53:05 AM »
I've seen the newer model Swans on ebay uk on dealer sites occasionally. I think it just depends what they bring over from China at any given time. But avoid the old models. 

Offline Keith

• HELPER
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 05:56:56 AM »
As you've found out, not many people stock them, all I could find were a couple on ebay.

I think you would be better served by buying one of the more popular brands around the 100~150 price range here in the UK.
(I have had good service & bought a few from Eagle Music online shop.)

Offline Jonf

• Baby Button Pusher
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 07:54:38 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.
I can't really justify spending 100+ on something that may be a passing fad for me- maybe I should just get a Swan 1040 to dip my toe in the water- if I take to it I could then get a Suzuki; I've only lost 20 and it's always nice to have a throw-away/back-up instrument.

Offline Keith

• HELPER
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 09:56:54 AM »
The Swan 1040 is quite a good starter, but it does take a bit more air to play than a standard valved harmonica, however, there's a few of us here that have & use them happily enough. :)

Offline SlideMeister

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 01:40:06 PM »
Yeah, it's inescapable! We all have had what call our good and bad deals, but they all count as "experiences." You gotta start somewhere, and don't worry: the ride's gunna be fun either way.
CONTACT A.J.Fedor with MeisterMail or click the MeisterMail globe on left

Offline jimjams

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
  • Every note counts
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 07:17:33 PM »
You should be able to access AliExpress.com and get one with free shipping.
James
Musical artistry comes via a relentless pursuit of beauty.

Offline dixharp

• Baby Button Pusher
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 07:57:51 PM »
I recommend Ali Express too. I live in London and recently ordered an Easttop King Dream - for $48.03 including post and packing (or "shipping" as it's become known). It's a lovely instrument and it's valved... Ali Express also has Swans for about the same price or slightly cheaper. The King Dream took a little over a week to arrive.
$48.03 was a special offer, so the price has now gone back up... to $51.93!!

The link comes out a little unwieldy so I suggest go to www.aliexpress.com and search.

Offline streetlegal

• Chrome-Meister
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 05:41:37 AM »
You just need to be aware of import tax and fees. In the UK if you import anything from China over a certain amount - used to be 15 but may have changed - then quite big import tax and admin fees have to be paid before the item is released. Quite a big hassle and delay as well as the added expense.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 05:44:09 AM by streetlegal »

Offline spitwindy

• Baby Button Pusher
  • Still can't get a note outta this darn harmonikee
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 09:08:28 AM »
Indeed, this is true. Royal mail charge a delivery fee of about 14 if the package is liable for tax and customs charge 20%.
But 9 times outta 10 the item gets through without getting taxed as the Chinese retailers mark the package as either a gift or value it below the tax threshold, you just have to be aware you may have to pay!!
I've just ordered a Swan 1664-6 from aliexpress, the retailer operating through aliexpress claims to be the official swan manufacturer, they only started trading through aliexpress in June. The swan 1664-4 was displayed as a swan 1664-6, so with any of the retailers you need to send them a message asking for the specific model you want, before, during and after you place your order to ensure they send you the correct model.
Looking at their site, they seem to be using it to unload excess stock as they don't display all their models.
Personally I think the gamble is worth it as the prices are so low, but it is still a gamble.
Tony

Offline jimjams

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
  • Every note counts
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 10:49:32 AM »
Indeed, this is true. Royal mail charge a delivery fee of about 14 if the package is liable for tax and customs charge 20%.
But 9 times outta 10 the item gets through without getting taxed as the Chinese retailers mark the package as either a gift or value it below the tax threshold, you just have to be aware you may have to pay!!
I've just ordered a Swan 1664-6 from aliexpress, the retailer operating through aliexpress claims to be the official swan manufacturer, they only started trading through aliexpress in June. The swan 1664-4 was displayed as a swan 1664-6, so with any of the retailers you need to send them a message asking for the specific model you want, before, during and after you place your order to ensure they send you the correct model.
Looking at their site, they seem to be using it to unload excess stock as they don't display all their models.
Personally I think the gamble is worth it as the prices are so low, but it is still a gamble.
Tony

Smart move, and a mandatory one when dealing with sellers on aliexpress. That said I have been able to get the correct Swan from them in the past.
James

Offline dixharp

• Baby Button Pusher
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 02:52:01 PM »
You just need to be aware of import tax and fees. In the UK if you import anything from China over a certain amount - used to be 15 but may have changed - then quite big import tax and admin fees have to be paid before the item is released.

I've had a number of Easttop harmonicas from Aliexpress now - four I think - and haven't had to pay extra charges on any of them. The credit card bill just came through for the King Dream and it translated as 37!! Astonishingly good value.

Offline streetlegal

• Chrome-Meister
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 07:41:40 AM »
The customs people and the post office don't check every package that comes in. So it is a kind of random check - but if your package is stopped you then have to pay up and smile.

Offline jimjams

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
  • Every note counts
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 11:51:12 AM »
You just need to be aware of import tax and fees. In the UK if you import anything from China over a certain amount - used to be 15 but may have changed - then quite big import tax and admin fees have to be paid before the item is released.

I've had a number of Easttop harmonicas from Aliexpress now - four I think - and haven't had to pay extra charges on any of them. The credit card bill just came through for the King Dream and it translated as 37!! Astonishingly good value.

Great deal Dix! The King Dream will also work for you Jon, much better than the Swan 10 holer.
James