Author Topic: Dear Brendan! Can you answer this question about diminished tuning?  (Read 154 times)

Offline lurcho

• Baby Button Pusher
It's nothing new, actually. It's just that I read something you wrote a few years ago about dimi tuning not being that great.

In other words, you gave an expert analysis of its limitations.

I've tried like heck to find that piece - an article or interview - but I've failed.

If I recall, you were saying that solo tuning held up better in several ways.

Hope you can help.

Offline Brendan Power

• HELPER
  • Chrome-Tributor
Re: Dear Brendan! Can you answer this question about diminished tuning?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 11:15:43 PM »
I don't think I would have said anything like that - they are both good tunings! But every tuning has its strengths and weaknesses.

It's easier to play in all 12 keys on Diminished because there are only three scale patterns to learn, instead of twelve on Solo. That's a BIG difference. Actually just two scale patterns on Diminished if the chrom is half-valved and you use draw bends instead of button pushes to get the scale notes. Additionally the draw bends give you many enharmonics and a lot of extra soul. That's how I'd play it.

However if you want to play mostly in C and related modes then Solo is easier, as the scale notes are all there without slide pushes.

My preference is PowerChromatic, which mixes the good qualities of both of them I think. Here is how to play the 12  major scales using draw bends:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDsP4k8-N8g
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 01:31:44 PM by Brendan Power »

Offline lurcho

• Baby Button Pusher
Re: Dear Brendan! Can you answer this question about diminished tuning?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 09:22:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply, and for clearing that up.

I've already been looking at your new invention with great interest.