Author Topic: SPAH 2017  (Read 195 times)

Online rebel harper

• Chrome-Tributor
SPAH 2017
« on: September 07, 2017, 04:46:52 PM »
Having not been able to attend this year, I was hoping that there would be some post-convention chatter, as in previous years, by those who were fortunate enough to be there. What gives? Curious.

Manfred

Online Gnarly He Man

• AKA Gary
  • CONTRIBUTOR
  • MonsterMeister
  • Aye I Eye
Re: SPAH 2017
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 05:05:49 PM »
Tom Stryker's Big Band was a wonderful thing.
Here's a taste (with the group introductions first) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QPYOJdLTko
I got to play Harmonetta with Steve Watne and Mike Runyan. No video that I have found yet!
Mostly tho, I worked the Suzuki booth.
Sorry you missed it!
Oh, and Jason Ricci got the Bernie Bray Award, he got all misty for a little bit (6:38)!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtENJ211Ui0
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 05:56:14 PM by Gnarly He Man »

Offline smojoe

• MasterMeister
  • virgo
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 06:15:11 PM »

I was surprised to have been picked by Tom 'Strykeforce' Stryker to participate in his seminar 'Jam Etiquette' I was the one demonstrating what NOT to do while M. Tom explained WHY not to do it.
I got to play on Michael Rubin's 'Variety Show'. And I was able to replace George Miklas when he elected to play with Chris Bauer. These are rare appearances by me as I never play evening slots at spah.
I also got to play a few times on the jazz jams. Once at open mic.
I thought the fest was nice, I liked Tulsa. I landed in a tornado. The flights were a nightmare. But I got to spend a couple hours with the great Patrice Rayon (France) at the airport on my way home.

Right now I'm preparing for a hurricane.  sm0joe

Offline SlideMeister

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 08:48:33 PM »
Button up tight Bro!
You're are in our prayers.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 09:06:26 PM by SlideMeister »
CONTACT A.J.Fedor with MeisterMail or click the MeisterMail globe on left

Online Le Chef

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • Chrome-Tributor
  • The 50's rule
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 10:46:55 PM »
I haven't  been to enough SPAHS to comment comparatively. However, I am very glad I went. I was able to relax this year, unlike last year, and noticed a variety of levels and types of players that escaped my notice before. 

I met representatives of just about every group and finally got up nerve to perform alone on harmonica at the open mike.  I've been on stages for over 50 years, but always with guitar.  All alone with a new instrument is ... a little different. Imagine playing alone on, say, the clarinet, after having played only 2 years, or some other instrument new to you, in front of a bunch of experienced clarinetists. I ordered everyone in the audience to leave before I started, telling them a tornado was about to reduce the hotel to rubble, but they refused. Anyway my performance got a fair reception. I won't lie ... I was glad when it ended.

I played privately with representatives of every niche group. My guitar made it easy to make friends!

I didn't get to play on stage with any of the major guns, EXCEPT for our superb co-forumite SlimHeilpern.

Slim agreed to back me as I sang and played, on guitar, "C'est Si Bon." We even did a French verse, and one bridge, in French.  Slim played tasty grace notes throughout and took a solo as I strummed.  Dont take this as bragging, as it's due to Slim, but it  was good to DIE for.  I swear I asked myself during his solo, "Is this real??" There was no place on this Earth I wanted to be during that solo. And we only rehearsed about 10 minutes and had never met before. I was especially hoping Slim would agree to play, as he did, as I had witnessed and enjoyed his own solo performances with guitar looping,  I think it's called, and knew he was killer good.

Also attended a gospel workshop and thoroughly enjoyed it. I suggested we play "Tantum Ergo". Hey, it's gospel to me! I was just kidding, but you never saw so many blank looks in your life. Hilarious ( to me).  I'd better not elaborate, as we could veer into something we dasn't, and besides, there was only one chromatic in the workshop. The other instruments were ... well, never mind, LOL!

There was one especially invaluable fellow there, whom I'm sure you all know,  who runs the open mike. Wears an American flag biker hat. He's very relaxed, and is just ALWAYS working for us. 

That's about all I got to report.  Looking forward to 2018.

Chef

"Run not in the streets. . . nor with mouth open." George Washington, Rules of Civility

Online Danny G

• Happiness is a New Harmonica
  • PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MasterMeister
  • Danny G
    • New Harmonica
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 11:37:06 PM »
There was one especially invaluable fellow there, whom I'm sure you all know,  who runs the open mike. Wears an American flag biker hat. He's very relaxed, and is just ALWAYS working for us.

That would be Marvin Monroe

Online rebel harper

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 05:01:40 PM »
Hey Joe and all the other folks down there in Florida-BE SAFE.

Manfred

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MasterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
    • Myspace.com/elizabethgs
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 02:12:47 PM »

I was surprised to have been picked by Tom 'Strykeforce' Stryker to participate in his seminar 'Jam Etiquette' I was the one demonstrating what NOT to do while M. Tom explained WHY not to do it.
I got to play on Michael Rubin's 'Variety Show'. And I was able to replace George Miklas when he elected to play with Chris Bauer. These are rare appearances by me as I never play evening slots at spah.
I also got to play a few times on the jazz jams. Once at open mic.
I thought the fest was nice, I liked Tulsa. I landed in a tornado. The flights were a nightmare. But I got to spend a couple hours with the great Patrice Rayon (France) at the airport on my way home.

Right now I'm preparing for a hurricane.  sm0joe

Well, that sure sounds like a good time? AND you got to walk to a lot of close by food places - which I know is always a big deal to you (for coffee and breakfast?)
Very nice that you got to play with others this time. :) But what's this about a tornado there? I had posted videos of and expressed some concern about the one which
hit Tulsa up the road a bit the week before, and was pretty much trounced as in 'they don't happen in Tulsa'. Wha??? I'd jhave been a bit freaked if I'd have been
there Ftr - most of my flights to any SPAH are a nightmare. It's very difficult for me to travel with my physical problems --just going through security is in itself a nigh-
mare, and having these ear problems on a plane it's something to dread.

I haven't connected with Patrice in a while --super nice guy - who  brought the Brodur harps to SPAH back for the 50th Anniversary --and was part of the French
contingent who came over for the Anniversary.

Please be safe for Hurricane Irma --and if you have to evacuate, do so? I know you're a stubborn man --but there's a time and place to know when something's much
bigger and impossible to stand up to. IF you stay in place, please contact someone from here as soon as it's passed by so we can know you're ok?

Elizabeth (scotty)

Offline smojoe

• MasterMeister
  • virgo
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 02:50:00 PM »

I bought my flight 2 months in advance. Was supposed to get to Atlanta at noon and leave by one. They told me I didn't have a seat. Didn't get out of Atlanta till 4:35. That got me into Tulsa at 6:45. We landed and the pilot taxied the plane to the lee side of the terminal as a tornado hit the front of the terminal. I lodged a complaint about the 'You don't have a seat' business, as I should have been in Tulsa at three not 6:45. So..they risked my life.

Irma? I am working a 'Fascionat' on the hurricane. That's similar to a 'mo-jo'. I always felt that it wasn't going to hit Miami. But I want it to stay westbound. No curve allowed. We have been hit by 135, 120, 120, 105, and 90 mph storms so far. So I'm not moving. People are crazy hysterical. Emptying all the stores, and gas. People are pulling in with gas guzzling suvs, taking 20 gal and THEN taking 5 to 6 five gallon containers out and filling them too. I won't go on the road with them. I'll die here. If that's what it takes.

So I don't want anyone to worry about me. I picked my destiny.  sm0joe (aka m0joe) 

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MasterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
    • Myspace.com/elizabethgs
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 03:01:45 PM »

I bought my flight 2 months in advance. Was supposed to get to Atlanta at noon and leave by one. They told me I didn't have a seat. Didn't get out of Atlanta till 4:35. That got me into Tulsa at 6:45. We landed and the pilot taxied the plane to the lee side of the terminal as a tornado hit the front of the terminal. I lodged a complaint about the 'You don't have a seat' business, as I should have been in Tulsa at three not 6:45. So..they risked my life.

Irma? I am working a 'Fascionat' on the hurricane. That's similar to a 'mo-jo'. I always felt that it wasn't going to hit Miami. But I want it to stay westbound. No curve allowed. We have been hit by 135, 120, 120, 105, and 90 mph storms so far. So I'm not moving. People are crazy hysterical. Emptying all the stores, and gas. People are pulling in with gas guzzling suvs, taking 20 gal and THEN taking 5 to 6 five gallon containers out and filling them too. I won't go on the road with them. I'll die here. If that's what it takes.

So I don't want anyone to worry about me. I picked my destiny.  sm0joe (aka m0joe)
Not for anything, Smokey --but isn't it a wee bit contradictory to get ticked off at the airlines 'for risking your life' and then say you'll 'die here if that's what it takes'? Either
you care about your life, or you don't. Some of us do, for you. So I'll repeat --please contact someone you know here so those who DO care about you can know that you're
ok, afterwards. 

As for me, I'll quit worrying right about now since you obviously don't care about anyone else's feelings and concern.

Ciao,

Elizabeth (scotty)

Offline smojoe

• MasterMeister
  • virgo
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 05:06:23 PM »
Jeez Scotty, I thought what I said was just the opposite. It t'were:
"so I don't want anyone to worry about me". And I will be moving this over to the Irma thread.

s.j.