Author Topic: Suggestion for bending, tuning and control?  (Read 153 times)

Offline CCristian

• Chrome-Tributor
Suggestion for bending, tuning and control?
« on: September 04, 2017, 07:43:36 AM »
Hi folk,
I'm here again with a advice request.
This time I want ask you some suggestion for learning to use bent notes.
My problem is that: I'm almost able without problem to bend the notes, but I still not able to understand when I'm bend a note in right tune (bent enough and not too much).
I try to explain better: If I start my tuner program on smartphone and I pick up an harmonica and I try to bend the notes, I'm able to bend almost all the notes right; but I read that this way is not good to learn how to use bending. I'm agree that the previous way explained is not good, because I'm not able to memorize the right sound of note bent well.
I also not have a very educated hear, in sense that if some one play a wrong note, I recognize it; but wen I play I'm not able to find the right note by ear. Summarizing: I'm able to hear the wrong note, but not to play the right one by ear.... this is not a big problem with chromatic harmonicas, because in this case I can read music and play, so if I don't do mistake with the slide and the holes, I play the correct note. Instead the problem is very big with bent notes...

Do you have any suggestion to help me to educate better my ear to this?
Suggestion/advise of exercise and technique are very appreciate.
Bye
CCristian

P.S. Now I'm starting to follow the instruction reported in the Winslow's book "Harmonica for dummies".-
«Raffiniert ist der Herr Gott, aber boshaft ist Er nicht»
She has the notes, I need to learn to make music!

Offline Keith

• HELPER
  • Chrome-Minator
Re: Suggestion for bending, tuning and control?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 07:56:26 AM »
Record yourself - it shows you best where you are good & where you need to improve. :)

Offline deepsouth

• Chrome-Tributor
  • Music of Language - Language of Music
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 07:19:49 PM »
Listening to harmonica music that employs bends is almost a prerequisite for developing a feel for where and when the bending works best.
I suggest Sonny Terry.

Offline BeauKim

• HELPER
  • Baby Button Pusher
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 01:52:55 AM »
One of the ways to learn to match notes while playing another instrument, like a piano or guitar.  Also play the chord tones on harmonica while playing chords on the piano.  Example: Sustain a Bb chord on piano and play the Bb (3 draw halfstep bend) and lower F (2 draw wholestep bend) on the C diatonic.

You could use a drone on your tuner and match the pitch or play different intavals with the drone.

Since you can read music, you should be able to learn easily what notes need to be bent in a certain octave and which ones don't. 

Another test would be to alternate between diatonics of different keys or just alternate between the chromatic and diatonic harmonicas.  A 3 draw (A) on a chromatic in C = a 3 whole step bend on the diatonic in C.  The pitches can match, but not the timbre.

Ultimately, you need to exercise your ears because we don't look at a tuner while we perform music on stage.

I hope that helps.

Offline CCristian

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 03:24:23 AM »
Hi BeauKim,

One of the ways to learn to match notes while playing another instrument, like a piano or guitar.  Also play the chord tones on harmonica while playing chords on the piano.  Example: Sustain a Bb chord on piano and play the Bb (3 draw halfstep bend) and lower F (2 draw wholestep bend) on the C diatonic.

Do you play chord bended and with different amount (deepness) of bending for different notes?! Great! Do you mind explain me  a little more about it (if I understand what do you mean).

Thanks I start to do a similar exercise:
I try a couple of time to bend and check on the tuner (installed on Tablet) and after I installed a Melodica synthesizer on the tablet and so I play the note on the software melodica (that is very like to harmonica sound) and I bend on the same note, until I ear the same note (or at least, when they are almost the same for me  ;D)
Bye
CCristian   

«Raffiniert ist der Herr Gott, aber boshaft ist Er nicht»
She has the notes, I need to learn to make music!

Offline Edward Brock

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Meister
  • I Love That Sound
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 12:56:10 PM »
Listening to harmonica music that employs bends is almost a prerequisite for developing a feel for where and when the bending works best.
I suggest Sonny Terry.

Sonny Terry is good. Think I'll listen to a little Sonny T right now, Thank you.

Offline BeauKim

• HELPER
  • Baby Button Pusher
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 01:22:16 PM »
Hi BeauKim,

Do you play chord bended and with different amount (deepness) of bending for different notes?! Great! Do you mind explain me  a little more about it (if I understand what do you mean).

I try a couple of time to bend and check on the tuner (installed on Tablet) and after I installed a Melodica synthesizer on the tablet and so I play the note on the software melodica (that is very like to harmonica sound) and I bend on the same note, until I ear the same note (or at least, when they are almost the same for me  ;D)
Bye
CCristian

Hi CCristian,

That's good that you're using a sound generator to practice bending in tune, instead of a tuner.  The exercise that I talked about is to play a chord on the piano, then arpeggiate the chord on the harmonica.  Example:  Play a Bb minor chord on a piano (Bb, Db, and F played simulataneously) and then arpeggiate the chord on your C harmonica (3 draw half step bend, 4 draw half step bend, and 5 draw one note at a time).

When you do this, try to play as smoothly as you can and keep your ears open!  It's better to play each note for about 2 seconds to help train your muscles and ear!

Offline jimjams

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
  • Every note counts
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 01:39:14 PM »
Hi BeauKim,

That's challenging!! Going to give it a try. Thanks for explaining BK!

Bye
CCristian

Hi CCristian,

That's good that you're using a sound generator to practice bending in tune, instead of a tuner.  The exercise that I talked about is to play a chord on the piano, then arpeggiate the chord on the harmonica.  Example:  Play a Bb minor chord on a piano (Bb, Db, and F played simulataneously) and then arpeggiate the chord on your C harmonica (3 draw half step bend, 4 draw half step bend, and 5 draw one note at a time).

When you do this, try to play as smoothly as you can and keep your ears open!  It's better to play each note for about 2 seconds to help train your muscles and ear!
James
Musical artistry comes via a relentless pursuit of beauty.