Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
New Member Intros / Re: Hello!
« Last post by Scotty on Today at 01:15:01 AM »
Hi there, Mike - and welcome to SlideMeister!

There's a cx-12 fan club here - begun by Grizz (Tom Baehr) which has tons of posts about our
favourite instrument you might want to peruse.

Slim Heilpern is also a lifelong guitarist who plays CX-12's and you can likely hear some of his
music in the youtubes here.

Elizabeth (scotty) 8)
PS: if the sole reason you're learning tb'ing is because you feel the need to after switching to chromatics, you don't 'have' to --there are so many wonderful chromatic players who play pucker style or lip blocking. It IS better to have as many embouchures at your disposal as possible, but not an actual requirement, given that you've been playing one way for your diatonics. It might be easier to begin with your usual style as you get to know the chromatic, and then introduce tb'ing along the way as you become
more comfortable.
GENERAL CHROMATIC DISCUSSION / Re: Hohner 260
« Last post by Scotty on Today at 01:03:32 AM »
actually I wrote "heck" but it appeared as "heck" in the post. tried to correct it several times but it would not work. strange, no?

Don't even try, lol. Age has certain standards he holds us to, and that's one of them. He's the boss
who owns this site so he gets to decide what's acceptable - and not. So it's built into the software.

I forgot recently and also used the same word which was 'softened' down for me. Didn't have quite
the same punch, but I'm ok with it.

Elizabeth (scotty)
Banter / Re: Gratitude
« Last post by Scotty on Today at 12:57:39 AM »
Grateful to Age and the Siders!! (Sounds like good name for a band.)

Now that would be a heckuva band! I'd love to see a stage which would fit us all, hahaha.

A VERY Happy and enjoyable Thanksgiving to everyone celebrating it tomorrow. Instead of
eating at home, we're going out to a wonderful restaurant: The Stone Creek Inn - where we'll
have delicious turkey with all of the trimmings and NO leftovers (sadly), to play havoc with
my waistline. I'll manage, even while missing having my own home-made apple sauce, cranberry
sauce with orange, my special mashed potatoes, roasted in wine mushrooms and candied yams. 
:(

But there's a bright side -- NO cleanup (of all that mess), and I get to sleep late! I'm actually looking forward to this. :)

Elizabeth (scotty)
Have a wonderful day tomorrow everyone, and Age especially: I too am so thankful for this brilliant
concept of yours which has given all of us a chromatic home.
New Member Intros / Re: New Member from South Africa
« Last post by Scotty on Today at 12:47:03 AM »
Welcome! You might be our first person from South Africa --I'm not sure. There are others from everywhere else here. :)  --I'm in NY, originally from Scotland.

Elizabeth (scotty)
YouTubeMeister / Re: Silent Night - Suzuki SCX 64 (audio only)
« Last post by Scotty on Today at 12:43:12 AM »
Thanks for the comments.  I will work on my timing.  My timing with Silent Night does sound inconsistent to me.

Not sure yet that at 76 I want to take the time to learn to read music fully. Don't plan to play with a band, so that at least is not a problem.  I want to see if my timing will improve, as I record more and learn to focus on the music instead of worrying about how the recording is going. Mostly I want to avoid timing that seems inconsistent.

Depending on the melody, I do tend to 'improvise' on the timing, trying to set a mood or moods, which may vary depending on the lyrics.  Also, some melodies can be played at different speeds.  With Danny Boy I played that recording quite slowly (although not as slowly as Bing Crosby sang it).  I have listened to renditions on the net that were faster and 'lighter'.  The reason I play Danny Boy slowly is thatI think the lyrics are quite sad and I feel it suits the lyrics better when it is sung or played slowly.

Bottom line is that I think my playing sounds a little mechanical and that is partly my timing.  I'm working on it. :)

Thanks again for your comments.

My sentiments too, frankyb. I agree and try to play according to the mood of the lyrics. Playing something exact becomes mechanical. The first part of Danny Boy is sad talking of a loved one going off to war, so slow and soft suits it. Then when "but come ye back" that's happy so faster and louder. Suppose not many agree with me but I'm with you frankyb.
You're not wrong in this --neither is frank--and I like to do the same. Nothing I dislike more than someone playing mechanically. The issue with timing is more about not leaving 'quite enough'
space between notes where they really have to be for the basic melody...and which makes it sound 'off' if phrases are 'shovedtogether' (not quite the right description of rushing a melody, but I think you know what we mean).  Slowing down some parts, and playing that phrase of Danny Boy faster as you do is also very logical to my sense of the song.

Some people prefer a metronome to count for them and can work wonderfully off one --but I so dislike metronomes for chromatic playing (I can play over it more easily on piano)--that I prefer
to tap a foot or move other parts of my body to keep the timing right for me if I need it. It's mostly unconscious at this point--something else which simply takes playing longer and becoming more comfortable with the instrument - or making music in general.

Like Age, I'd ratherhear someone slowing down a song than rushing it. It might be easier to think of a song such as Danny Boy as a series of sentences or phrases while one is playing: Oh Danny Boy (pause) the pipes, the pipes are calling (pause) from glen to glen (pause) .....etc. If you played all of that straight through with no pauses it would be 'rushed', just as it would if you were speaking these
same sentences and phrases as one long sentence with no pauses, commas or inflections. (At least this is the way I think of it). Hope this helps a wee bit.:)

Elizabeth (scotty)  8)
Banter / Re: Debates in other online communities
« Last post by Scotty on Today at 12:19:53 AM »
LOL - I knit--but haven't been able to do much lately

English or Continental?

;-)

Oh, definitely English. I never did learn the continental style which is supposed to be far easier on
the hands and arms, but somehow escapes me....I guess I've been knitting 'my' way for too long, now. I'm anxious to get back to it--since my 'stash' (all knitters have this, in my defence--kinda
like HAS, lol) is enough to allow me to knit a cover for my entire house should I be so inclined. ;) I
love my yarns and am dying to start a new project.  ;D ;D ;D

Elizabeth (scotty)
« Last post by Scotty on Today at 12:14:58 AM »
I'm actually intimidated by many arts requiring manual dexterity, and knitting is one of them. I see knit-ists with their heads semi-down, carrying on a conversation, and these long needles clack, whir and twirl, dart, loop and jab, and -- somehow -- out comes a sweater.  :-\

The irony of knitting now being considered a 'women's' craft/art, is that when it first became known
about, it was purely done by Scottish and Irish fishermen --creating these wonderful woolen guernseys and other items to protect themselves from the elements (the wool has a natural lanolin which made what they knitted fairly waterproof). Some of that kind of wool is again available today by small-scale farmers who raise their sheep specifically for their wool - tons of which can be found online --most knitting magazines list where to buy these beautiful yarns--AND it mostly takes being fairly good at arithmetic.

Seriously! When I first was taught (as a small child in elementary school in Glasgow), I was all
thumbs and couldn't comprehend the switching of the yarn from front to back to get the knit or purl stitches. So a few years later I was determined to master it and taught myself (much easier than being thought of as stupid by that instructor). I knitted all sorts of clothes for my only doll, which made me feel quite accomplished. Shelved it again until I was a young adult, then began making all sorts of things out of really nice yarn. My major accomplishment was an absolutely beautiful mohair blend (I mixed 3 yarns together) coppery coloured bomber-style jacket I made for myself with a matching beret.  I wore it to work one Autumn day and had a young female attorney stop and ask just where I'd bought such a stunning jacket. She couldn't believe I'd made it myself so asked if I could make one for her too --she'd pay whatever I asked (these attorneys made a TON of money-compared to my paltry salary). I had to regretfully say no, since I'd quite literally made it up as I went along (even installing a front zipper - which was awfully difficult) -and couldn't remotely manage to recreate what I'd done since it hadn't dawned on me to write down the pattern. Sigh--so much for my 'designer' career in knitwear, lol, and some serious income I could have used then!

What's fun is that a LOT of men are now rediscovering the Zen-like stress relief and calmness of creating something to wear out of 'knit 1, purl 2' - and going into designing their own sweaters as well as those for women, since it's merely a series of recognizable stitches created with 'two sticks and string'. It's ALL about being able to count, multiply, subtract and keep track of the number of stitches on a needle. Basic knitting is so easy to learn --wonderfully warm scarves, cowls and hats can be made from knitting every stitch (garter stitch)--which creates a reversible and 'crunchy' fabric, even if a sweater is too intimidating. There are youtube videos showing the very basics as well as far more complex knitting.

While I knew some knitters who could do what you're talking about --the average knitter has to concentrate just a bit more and I can watch tv while I knit, but do need to pay a bit more attention to what I'm doing, especially if it's complex or a lace design. I wish everyone would take up knitting! It's so much prettier than crochet (to my eyes) and the feeling one gets wearing something YOU made is wonderful. :)

Elizabeth (scotty)
« Last post by gvelasco on Yesterday at 11:56:32 PM »
LOL - I knit--but haven't been able to do much lately

English or Continental?

;-)
New Member Intros / Re: New Member from South Africa
« Last post by Le Chef on Yesterday at 11:47:03 PM »
Howdy Nick! Welcome.
Alternate Tunings / Re: Bebop Tuning on the Chromatic Harmonica
« Last post by Gnarly He Man on Yesterday at 11:19:54 PM »
It's true, but it's a specialty tuning that he only uses occasionally.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10