Author Topic: spit and germs  (Read 82 times)

Offline Atorresmd

• Baby Button Pusher
spit and germs
« on: February 14, 2018, 06:00:52 PM »
Been afraid to ask...

If I send my harmonica out for repair, will the repair person need to actually blow into my harmonica?

Alfredo

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
    • Myspace.com/elizabethgs
Re: spit and germs
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 09:50:35 PM »
Been afraid to ask...

If I send my harmonica out for repair, will the repair person need to actually blow into my harmonica?

Alfredo

I should let a repairperson respond to this --but I've had custom-made diatonics retuned by the same guy who made them
and yes, of course --he had to keep playing the individual notes in order to tune them properly...and this took some time.

What should make you feel better is that I don't know ANY of those repairpeople who don't clean the instrument thoroughly before
returning it to you. Some even have sanitizing equipment to ensure there's no transmission of germs (they also should do this before
touching a grungy harmonica coming in to protect themselves!) 

On a related note, the CDC here in the US has announced that a new Adenovirus is running in tandem with the current severe flu and rampant
in New York (where I live). AND it can live 'up to 30 days on plastic and metal surfaces'!

So all of those who believe that all germs and viruses die within hours on inert substances need to rethink their long-held attitudes. Keeping a
clean mouth and a clean harmonica is to everyone's benefit.

Elizabeth (scotty)

Online Age

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
Re: spit and germs
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 10:22:34 PM »
My guess would be: Of course they play it!  I would never think of tearing mine apart and fixing something, then just toss it in my case and wait till I got out to a job/event/performance or whatever to see if I was satisfied with the job I did. I would expect the customizer to, at the very least, go through every note to verify response before re-sanitizing it and shipping it back to me.
CONTACT A.J.Fedor with MeisterMail or click the MeisterMail globe on left