Author Topic: Greetings from Maine!  (Read 215 times)

Offline ilovedaisies

• Linda
  • Baby Button Pusher
Greetings from Maine!
« on: February 12, 2018, 11:38:48 AM »
Hi, all.  I’m Linda, a childless widow and a senior — just had my 70th birthday! — who’s a total newbie to the Chromatic Harmonica.  So happens, too, I live in an area where I don’t think there’s much going on to share or find help learn about my new passion...  So, there’s been LOTS of online research. 

First, it’s what’s the difference between the kinds harmonicas?  Who knew! There are even medical pulmonary ones.  Then, upon choosing chromatic, it’s what are important features?  With some new pulmonary issues, air-tightness became primary, and being a senior made ease of maintenance foremost, too.  Seems a harmonica was a lot more complicated than simply changing guitar strings! 

So, there went the desired deeper, throaty tones of any mellow wood combs and/or brass reeds in favor of stainless reeds and an acrylic comb.  As a teen, I’d wanted to do the saxophone!  This would be close!  So, let’s try to get quality, but make it as maintenance free as possible.  Oh, my gosh.  I was embarking on an exciting new chapter..

I chose Seydel...  Only, then, it was step 2 and tough:  trying to learn the difference between the ‘pretty’ acrylic orange Deluxe Steel, vs. the more acclaimed Saxony for a few dollars more.  No one seemed to have an understandable answer for that.  And, too, why was that so, especially when the two Seydel’s Symphony’s— also in the same pretty acrylic (green, this time) and aluminum combs — sold for the exact same price?

Actually, to back up.  It took some time for me to acclimate myself that I was going to wind up spending $300-$400, vs. the $100-$200 I’d anticipated.  Then, it was wondering should I order any specific tuning before purchase, as well as choosing which key!  So much still to learn, even before purchase.  Oh, my...

This was when I first learned about your wonderful SlideMeister group forum.  There was lots there on tuning — it helped me learn Orchestra was really best (for me) — as well as learning I needed to change out the high end to return the three complete octaves, perhaps. 

I learned, too, about power chromatic tuning — would I want that? — and about bebop tuning, something that sounded really good and fun, and quite easy to do.  A bluesy sound might be something I’d really use.  But so hard for a novice to know what to do, when they knew they were only going to buy/have but ONE harmonica...  Would I be wrecking things I couldn’t anticipate if I did either or those?  So, all that data got tucked aside, while continuing to look at instruments...

Then, after watching what seemed like zillions of YouTube videos, I contacted one of the exhibitors with those (price difference) and other questions.  Turned out he had a Seydel Symphony for sale for a terrific price, as well as a Seydel Saxony which had Solo C tuning.  Wow.  This was an unexpected opportunity.  What to do?

In the end, I jumped on the Symphony, as it’s $800 new price was something I knew I wasn’t likely to do (and his was like new) — I could, but it seemed exorbitant for a newbie — while knowing the Saxony, besides not being the pretty version I so wanted, wasn’t keyed as I felt I needed.  The Saxony would have only been $200!  The Symphony, too, was a REAL instrument!  And oh, so very beautiful!  Only, I wondered.  I was only spending $100 more than I’d planned.  What an opportunity.  But would it be too big?

So, so went any concerns over tuning.  It would be alright.  I’d taught myself beginner guitar in my youth, dabbled with bass playing, then, too, and now have a clavinova just sitting here.  Music comes easy to me.  I knew I’d really be getting into note playing, and I’d need the below middle-C lower octave notes.  The opportunity for the Symphony seemed something I just shouldn’t pass up...

Only, I still wonder about getting the Bebop tuning before I begin learning one pattern — who’d want to learn another pattern, later on?  But I’ve been advised I should have gotten the Saxony if I’d wanted to do that.  And I don’t have an instructor to ask.  And so it is...

However, now, step 3 comes into play:  looking for instruction — online and books!  Then, just last night, as a guest on your forum, again, I found the answer to a second question about whether to purchase “The Jim Hughs Method” instruction book/CDs.  There’s not a lot out there highly recommended...  I’d already purchased and received “Method for Chromatic Harmonica” by Max De Aloe, as I’d seen it promoted in some YouTube videos.  But I’d never even heard about Jim Hughs or seen any videos of him in all of my looking... What to do?

Bless you all!  Thanks to your discussion, I realized yes!  It would be an important method to have.  And I’m so grateful...  It was then I realized, perhaps, despite hearing forums didn’t always have good advice, I needed to join THIS forum.

In signing up, I read you don’t want to have those who don’t ‘contribute’ by not posting.  Only, my only contribution would be taking, it would seem.  Would that be right?  Should I just remain as a guest, flipping all around seeing what else there was to learn here, vs. taking up space, becoming a non-contributing member?

I felt, as a minimum, I should contribute by sharing and to say “thank you”...  SO, so very, very much.  I’m happy to be a member should it work out I could, too, be of equal benefit.  It’s so fun to have someone with whom to share mutual interests.  Otherwise, I understand I’ll just fade away after a time...  I’ve never done forums before.

In the end, I’m so very, very happy to be on this new journey in this new chapter in my life.  I’ve seen videos of 91 year olds playing, as well as Toots in a wheelchair playing.  Imagine.  I can take/use this anywhere!  So very portable.  I can vision myself being in the car doing some of the beautiful ballads I’ve since seen, telling me I got the perfect Chromatic Harmonica for the kind of playing I’d be doing. 

What a perfectly wonderful instrument — and enabling such fullness of expression!  I’d never be able to add emotion to the piano, as one can to this wonderful unique and oh so very portable instrument.  And you only have the right hand to worry about!  :).   So, so, so much easier...

Offline Edward Brock

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Meister
  • I Love That Sound
Re: Greetings from Maine!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 11:52:20 AM »
Well Hello, Linda and welcome to the group. You never to young to get started.
Please be sure to read the Rules & Regs before you go too far.
Introductions are expected and much appreciated but anything else in This section
really should be held to a minimum. There are many other places for questions and
other discussions. AJ is pretty firm about this.
So, again, welcome and we all look forward to your thoughts in other areas of the forum.
See you around campus young lady. :)

Offline Crawforde

• HELPER
  • Chrome-Meister
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 12:18:54 PM »
Welcome aboard!
Quite the intro!
I think that is a similar narrative to what we all went through, and will likely go through with each additional Harmonica that we add to our collections!

Offline Jimmy Halfnote

• V.I.P
  • MasterMeister
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 12:39:32 PM »
 That was quite an introduction Linda , it all burst out spontaneously , hope there is more to come ( under appropriate headings) , i surely will listen, good luck.
                                                                   jh.

Offline jpkelly

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
  • Dying Since 1951
    • www.jpkelly.info
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 01:00:50 PM »
Hello Linda, welcome! Great intro!
Secure Contact - John Kelly or click the MeisterMail globe on left

Offline Keith

• HELPER
  • Chrome-Meister
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 02:10:55 PM »
Welcome aboard. :)

Online Age

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 02:53:45 PM »
Heloooooo Linda! :)

Nice intro. A lot of the stuff you mentioned is all good topic fodder. :) Ha Ha!

It's nice to see you jumping in at 70, That is soooo cool! 8)

Again, on SlideMeister, you don't have to post; you get to post8)  It's all about perspective. Then, you never need to post again in order to be a "member in good standing." All you are required to do is introduce yourself, (which you just did) and then visit us at least once every six months. Those who don't, I'm more than happy to kick out, and charge them 10 bucks to get back in when they wanna come back.

I think you'll do just fine. :)

Welcome to the forum! :)

@ge
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 02:58:46 PM by Age »
CONTACT A.J.Fedor with MeisterMail or click the MeisterMail globe on left

Offline Blowout

• CHARTER MEMBER
  • Chrome-Tributor
  • In woodshed detention
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 03:08:22 PM »
Hello Linda, a warm welcome aboard the SlideMeister train,

cheers Howard

Offline frankyb

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Meister
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 06:33:22 PM »
Welcome Linda!  As of now, my favorite chromatic harmonicas are Seydel. 
frankyb

Offline Mick

• HELPER
  • Chrome-Meister
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 02:50:33 AM »
Welcome Linda, good to have you with us, comprehensive intro!  :)

Offline jimjams

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
  • Every note counts
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 08:39:05 AM »
Hello Linda! You already know how to snag a good deal and have a passion for the chromatic harmonica. Looking forward to your contributions!
James
Musical artistry comes via a relentless pursuit of beauty.

Offline wolfman

• Chrome-Meister
  • If you have no "slick", you stick.
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 09:12:20 PM »
  Nice to have here Linda,enjoy.
Roman

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
    • Myspace.com/elizabethgs
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 09:52:35 PM »
Welcome, Linda! You're certainly not alone at your 'senior' age here --since I'd wager a good 2/3's of the people who post are in your age group. :)
It really is a unique instrument in that everyone can play - at all different levels (the question is: should they?) kidding!  Of course they should!  ;D
I even own one of those pulmonicas (won at a Spah convention). More on that later.

You've introduced yourself --to a point, and I'm absolutely thrilled to meet another woman signing on to SlideMeister. As you might have noticed we have
a bit of a dearth of distaff players. ;) You mention James Hughes. He taught (still teaches?) Philip Achille - whose video of Take Five was just posted here
either yesterday or today. Small world - now if you tell us (roughly) where in the world you live, there just might be another someone here likewise looking for someone to connect with locally. :)

I'm on Long Island, NY (although from Scotland originally) and have a difficult time finding anyone local who shares my chromatic harmonica passion.

LOVED your intro --and I'm so glad you found us.

Elizabeth (scotty)

Offline John Broecker

• Time Traveler (Drummer)
  • MasterMeister
  • Reggae Musician Bob Marley.
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 10:55:22 PM »
Hello Linda (Ilovedaisies).

Welcome to SlideMeister. You have many new friends here.

For our readers: Linda has stated that she is in the USA state
of Maine.

The state of Maine has borders with Canada, on the east coast of
the USA: the Canadian province of Quebec borders Maine to the west;
and the province of New Brunswick is on Maine's northeast border.

Linda, you'll have fun here. And it's FREE!

John Broecker
Sussex, Wisconsin, USA
Believe it or not: DC Fontana was a Script Editor of Star Trek TV shows & movies; DJ Fontana was Elvis' drummer in the 1st 14 years of Elvis' career.

Offline JPchrom

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 11:43:02 PM »
Welcome to the forum Linda.  Thank you for sharing the start of your journey into the wonderful world of chromatic harps.  My wife and I traveled around the US this past sumer and fall and loved the time we spent in Maine it is a very beautiful state.

JP

Offline Laina

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 03:37:29 AM »
Welcome Linda from sunny Kent  (with chill wind). Loved your open and enthusiastic intro and I get where you're coming from. There's sooo  much info on different harps, techniques, maintenance tips etc it can make your head buzz. Just soak it all up and enjoy the journey as much as I do  :) I just started a few months ago and find this a great forum, wonderful support and good fun. Look forward to your future posts and hearing how you get on with your new harp.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 03:40:32 AM by Laina »

Offline pyro_fire60099

• STAFF
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 04:36:30 AM »
Welcome Linda, wow that's a great introduction and everyone is here to help you in your journey with the harmonica. So where exactly do you live in Maine? I've spent many summers growing up at my Grandparents in Camden, Me and their cottage in a fishing village near Sebasco Estates, Me.

Wally P.

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
    • Myspace.com/elizabethgs
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 03:12:22 PM »
Hello Linda (Ilovedaisies).

Welcome to SlideMeister. You have many new friends here.

For our readers: Linda has stated that she is in the USA state
of Maine.

The state of Maine has borders with Canada, on the east coast of
the USA: the Canadian province of Quebec borders Maine to the west;
and the province of New Brunswick is on Maine's northeast border.

Linda, you'll have fun here. And it's FREE!

John Broecker
Sussex, Wisconsin, USA
:o Now how did I miss that after reading through her post twice? Yup --right in the title, LOL. Thanks, John.

Elizabeth (scotty)

Offline EZ-Slider

• Baby Button Pusher
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 11:06:24 AM »
Welcome Linda, and congrats on a fine instrument!