Author Topic: Ribbon Mic  (Read 184 times)

Offline SmatAlecHarmonica

• Baby Button Pusher
    • SmartAlecHarmonica
Ribbon Mic
« on: February 09, 2018, 11:32:52 AM »
Hi SlideMeisters
I am told that a ribbon mic is warmer for recording chromatic. I was looking for a good choice not too pricey and have been thinking about a Samson VR88, anyone have any input on this or other recommendations.
Thanks
SmartAlecHarmonica
SmartAlec

Online Age

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
Re: Ribbon Mic
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 10:32:14 PM »
The old standard was the Shure 300 series but they don't make them anymore and the used ones tend to be in need of new ribbons, which are no longer available :P

I remember hearing about Beyer ribbons that some players have used but have no personal experience with them.

I suppose the best bet would be to just go to a retailer and try a few out. (if you can actually find any in a retail store.)

Another interesting item would be the Royer R-10 ($499)
CONTACT A.J.Fedor with MeisterMail or click the MeisterMail globe on left

• Baby Button Pusher
    • SmartAlecHarmonica
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 11:17:37 AM »
OK Thanks, I think I am going to try VR88 and will let everyone know if it is an improvement on what I am using now which is a Sure PG58 (a keeper, an excellent performing live mic BTW like it better than the SM57 which is too shrill on the high notes for me) and I also use a low end basic Condenser Mic for recording. Most of my harmonica recording are with the condenser mic. I saw some discussion on using SAX setting on GB. Did not know about that. Like to figure out how to try that out.
SmartAlec

Offline jimjams

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
  • Every note counts
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 10:41:34 AM »
Are you recording at home? Do you use a DAW? If so, a clean broad (in terms of frequency) harmonica track can be warmed up with plugins during mixing.

A quality condenser mic would work well for that purpose. Good ribbons are pricey and fragile. A Sennheiser condenser is a good choice and is more versatile.
James
Musical artistry comes via a relentless pursuit of beauty.

• Baby Button Pusher
    • SmartAlecHarmonica
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 11:28:04 AM »
Yes I am, I am currently using Garage Band with the filters it has. I did not buy any add ins though. I interface with a good guitar amp (as my preamp) that I add EQ before going into my Focusrite and GB. I do have both a dynamic (Sure PG58) and low end condenser mic. I use the condenser mic for solo harmonica, it does a fair job but I am looking for more warmth on the high notes and it is always a struggle with filtering. I can play guitar and sing and it comes in great but harmonica for me a struggle recording. I have after a lot of mixing had fair success. Moondance: https://youtu.be/M3m8sGDWC1Y, smooth operator: https://youtu.be/zlOObM7b7Lw, are two of my better sounds. I finally took off of youtube my version of Comin' Home Baby after a lot of recording time, I am still trying to remaster the track to get the high notes to sound better, so for me it has been a struggle recording. But maybe I am too fussy. I really don't know what I am doing wrong but I am sure a better condenser mic could improve things so I am going to try a low end ribbon mic VR88 which I have seen good reviews on.
SmartAlec

Offline jimjams

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
  • Every note counts
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 09:50:31 AM »
Lee Oskar swears by an M160 Beyerdynamic mc..

Info here: http://www.hunterharp.com/loskars-favorite-harmonica-things/
James
Musical artistry comes via a relentless pursuit of beauty.

Online Age

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 12:13:16 PM »
Yeah, the Beyer is about the only ribbon mic with the reputation that "you could almost use it as a hammer," unlike all the rest of them, that can be physically damaged with little more than "harsh language."  ;)
CONTACT A.J.Fedor with MeisterMail or click the MeisterMail globe on left

• Baby Button Pusher
    • SmartAlecHarmonica
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 12:44:13 PM »
Thanks so much for your recommendation. I will check it out.
SmartAlec

• Baby Button Pusher
    • SmartAlecHarmonica
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 01:43:38 PM »
So I did check it out that was a good link. I see it is a dynamic where the Samson VR88 is a condenser. I have had more success with a condenser for recording, this looks like a great mic for live stuff although I am not having issues with live recording. I noted the the frequency curve rolls off the high end making it warmer cutting off those high notes I guess that what ribbons do. Now you got me confused, but that OK.
SmartAlec

• Baby Button Pusher
    • SmartAlecHarmonica
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 06:06:22 PM »
Well I ordered a Ribbon Mic and will be evaluating it in the next couple of months. Meanwhile I was able to re master Comin' Home Baby if anyone is interested:
https://youtu.be/hJbG2toH6Xs

I had initial issues with the high notes as I like to add reverb but finally figured out that reverb and high notes can with the way I recorded them not be a great sound. So I made the high notes dry and the rest wet. If you happen to listen, I like the way it came out now. Hope when I get a new mic I will record better and won't have such occasional issues.
SmartAlec