Author Topic: My First Switch Harp Demo  (Read 337 times)

Offline jazmaan

• Chrome-Meister
My First Switch Harp Demo
« on: February 06, 2018, 11:07:37 PM »
"Blues in Hoss' Flat"

https://youtu.be/7sULRSPsv4c

Offline Gnarly He Man

• AKA Gary
  • MonsterMeister
  • "Different harmonicas for every occasion"
Re: My First Switch Harp Demo
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 11:46:18 PM »
Great!

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
    • Myspace.com/elizabethgs
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 12:35:41 AM »
"Blues in Hoss' Flat"

https://youtu.be/7sULRSPsv4c
Really fun, David. :)

Elizabeth (scotty)

Offline frankyb

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Meister
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 11:56:51 AM »
frankyb

Offline jazmaan

• Chrome-Meister
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 12:50:16 PM »
Thanks guys.   In case you were wondering that particular Switch Harp combines two Melody Makers.   The funny thing is,  I could probably play at least 80% of that on a single Melody Maker harp.   Of course using the button produces cleaner sounding accidentals than bending.   But I'm still learning to use the Switch Harp button.   There's one point in that video where you oan hear me get hung up a little with the button.   It's not the same as a chromatic slide.   When the whole mouthpiece moves that takes some getting used to!

I think one of the biggest advantages of the Switch Harp is the extra chordal possibilities.   This video doesnt really show that off,  but in my next video I'll try to highlight chording more.

The video DOES highlight  Brendan's excellent "Stealth Valves".   Really fun for expressivity on blow notes that wouldn't otherwise be bendable!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 12:58:17 PM by jazmaan »

Offline Gnarly He Man

• AKA Gary
  • MonsterMeister
  • "Different harmonicas for every occasion"
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 03:13:08 PM »
Do "Blue Monk", por favor . . .

Offline IaNerd

• Baby Button Pusher
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 01:44:53 PM »
Well done!  Thanks, David!

Offline Brendan Power

• HELPER
  • Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 05:34:59 AM »
Thanks David, looking forward to your next one :-)

Offline jimjams

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
  • Every note counts
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 10:46:15 AM »
Nice!! Thanks!
James
Musical artistry comes via a relentless pursuit of beauty.

Offline jazmaan

• Chrome-Meister
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 01:21:25 PM »
Ok here's another. "Come Back to Sorrento",  https://youtu.be/6U_2xy9sfDk

A simple melody played slow and a cappela so you can really hear the harp "au naturel".    I play a few chords too.   

More to come!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:24:19 PM by jazmaan »

Offline frankyb

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Meister
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 03:13:05 PM »
Ok here's another. "Come Back to Sorrento",  https://youtu.be/6U_2xy9sfDk

A simple melody played slow and a cappela so you can really hear the harp "au naturel".    I play a few chords too.   

More to come!
Lovely.
frankyb

Offline Humanguy

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 05:25:45 PM »
It's not the same as a chromatic slide.   When the whole mouthpiece moves that takes some getting used to!

Hi jazmaan, you're saying that the mouthpiece itself moves? I don't recall Brendan Power mentioning that little detail. It sure wouldn't work for me, in fact I don't see how anyone who plays the chromatic could put up with that inconvenience. Thanks, but no thanks. You do sound good though.
Call me J

Offline SmatAlecHarmonica

• Baby Button Pusher
    • SmartAlecHarmonica
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 06:37:55 PM »
Hi Jazmann
I was checking out some discussions came across this one. Did not know what a switch harp was so I looked at your video and some others. I used to play 2 diatonics. Cross harp and straight so if I was an appropriate song say in A, I would play D bluesy and A straight since the scales are so related. So I guess now switch-harp are making diatonics like chromatic with a A and Bb say. Cool. I think that is cool. Like your post. I sometimes play both the diatonic and chromatic mix on a song that's another cool mix. I don't think switch-harp is for me as I would use the chromatic for that and if it is bluesy go back  traditional diatonic. But thanks for sharing.
SmartAlec

Offline jazmaan

• Chrome-Meister
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 10:40:36 PM »
Hi Jazmann
I was checking out some discussions came across this one. Did not know what a switch harp was so I looked at your video and some others. I used to play 2 diatonics. Cross harp and straight so if I was an appropriate song say in A, I would play D bluesy and A straight since the scales are so related. So I guess now switch-harp are making diatonics like chromatic with a A and Bb say. Cool. I think that is cool. Like your post. I sometimes play both the diatonic and chromatic mix on a song that's another cool mix. I don't think switch-harp is for me as I would use the chromatic for that and if it is bluesy go back  traditional diatonic. But thanks for sharing.

There are almost infinite ways to combine two short harps.   Mine happens to be a Melody Maker in Ab under another Melody Maker in A.    That was just a first experiment for me,  which after just a couple of weeks, I am beginning to get more comfortable with than when I made those two videos above. 

My first issues with the Switch Harp were mainly mechanical.   The moving mouthpiece was problematical for me in the first week.   But I'm happy to report that its no longer an issue.   I've made the necessary adjustments in my embouchure and grip and don't even think about it anymore.

This week I've moved on to exploring other keys and modes of the dual Melody Maker tuning and finding a lot to enjoy.   I'm sure most people  - if they've ever even tried a Melody Maker - haven't moved beyond 2nd position.   And that's understandable, especially with just one harp.   But with two combined via Switch Harp, there's are many other possibilities.    The same is probably true for Richter tuning.

I think most of the players here on SlideMeister play only Solo tuning.    They might enjoy hooking up two of Brendan's Lucky 13 harps 1/2 step apart in Solo Tuning.    Theoretically that should give them the familiarity of Solo Tuning but with much more bendability.     

I'd also love to hear what some of our Spiral or Diminished fans could do with a Switch Harp!     

Offline jazmaan

• Chrome-Meister
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 10:45:22 PM »
It's not the same as a chromatic slide.   When the whole mouthpiece moves that takes some getting used to!

Hi jazmaan, you're saying that the mouthpiece itself moves?

Indeed it does!  And that threw me for a bit of a loop the first week or two!   But I got used to it.   Now I don't even think about it anymore.

Which brings me to another point.   Whether its a movable mouthpiece,  a different tuning,  a flat-slide that lowers the pitch instead of raising it,   or some other change,    The human brain is capable of a lot more adaptability than you might imagine.   Maybe it doesn't happen instantly, or even overnight,  but with determination and practice,  you'd probably be surprised at how quickly you can adjust.  Don't sell yourself short.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 10:51:12 PM by jazmaan »

Offline Brendan Power

• HELPER
  • Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 04:57:16 AM »
David, I had a think about your missing slider note on hole 2, and came up with this possible solution (also posted on my own forum):

There is a doubled C in hole 3 with draw slide-in. You could detune it to A#, detune the current blow 3 slide-in A# to G#, and detune the current hole 2 slide-in G# to F#.

However it would alter the slider pattern in those holes, and you'd lose a bend on hole 2.

Or leave hole 2 alone, detune the draw slide-in C in hole 3 to A# and detune the A# slide-in hole 3 blow to F#...

That's assuming the slider raises the note in the first place. I'm not sure if yours does that?

Offline jazmaan

• Chrome-Meister
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 04:19:27 PM »
Yes, my slide raises the pitch.  I'll give your suggestions some thought, fool around with them on a piano to see what the chords sound like, etc.     Thanks!