Author Topic: Thumb on slide  (Read 685 times)

Offline Tonio50

• HELPER
  • Baby Button Pusher
Thumb on slide
« on: January 28, 2018, 08:04:29 AM »
Do any great players use their thumb instead of forefinger on the slide

I find it quite efficient

Cheers

Tony

Offline Jimmy Halfnote

• V.I.P
  • MasterMeister
Re: Thumb on slide
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 10:46:05 AM »
 There are many players who use their thumb Tony , not unusual.
            I wouldn't like to categories though, that might bring out the 'great police'.  :)

jh,

Offline ungar

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Chrome-Tributor
  • Newbee or not newbee?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 11:11:48 AM »
Charlie Musselwhite I think.

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
    • Myspace.com/elizabethgs
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 03:36:33 PM »
Do any great players use their thumb instead of forefinger on the slide

I find it quite efficient

Cheers

Tony
I'm pretty sure there are as many ways to play as people have fingers - and wrists, sides of hands and even forearms. Whatever works,
even for the top players. I think we gravitate to what fits each of us best, depending on our own anatomy. There are also options for
those who have no use of their hands at all.

Elizabeth (scotty)

Online Age

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 03:53:13 PM »
I dunno!  Now that you made me think about it, I've used just about everything to push the button in, including whatever's close by, even if it's a door-jamb. It's only a quarter inch or so, so to me, it's really no big deal. Of course, the more "button intensive" the piece, the more important this preference will become. I suppose if I were playing something where speed is critical, I'd only use my fingertip (as I guess that would be the fastest) Other than that, it's no biggie. To me, the Big deal is that the button is there!  8)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 03:55:27 PM by Age »
CONTACT A.J.Fedor with MeisterMail or click the MeisterMail globe on left

Offline The Lone Harper

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Tributor
  • New Chromatic Player
"Hi ho, Silver Concerto! Away!"

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 04:59:38 PM »
Gianluca Littera
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rSp2oTmEeo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fW8SF98pls

Nice! Hadn't heard of him before --then found this very short clip (after viewing the first one) and LOVE his version of this beautiful theme too:

Mission: Gabriel's Oboe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKFnjmTz2Ow

I only wince because that thumb on my right hand is incredibly painful (along with the wrist)--and will likely need the same surgery I
had done on my left hand, which would render either entirely useless for chromatic button pushing! By default, I end up using the pad
at the base of my right index finger - which works well enough for my needs, luckily. I think I used to use the tip of my index finger
when I was young. Whatever works and doesn't cause pain! :)

Good find!  I like him.

Elizabeth (scotty)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 09:49:14 PM by Scotty »

Offline Tonio50

• HELPER
  • Baby Button Pusher

Offline Harpinfool

• Baby Button Pusher
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 08:18:55 PM »
This one's always been a favorite of mine..........Definitely not a fingertip.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHwUT1Q69Hs

Offline Tonio50

• HELPER
  • Baby Button Pusher
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 04:24:46 PM »
Gianluca Littera

Nice! Hadn't heard of him before --then found this very short clip (after viewing the first one) and LOVE his version of this beautiful theme too:

I only wince because that thumb on my right hand is incredibly painful (along with the wrist)--and will likely need the same surgery I
had done on my left hand, which would render either entirely useless for chromatic button pushing! By default, I end up using the pad
at the base of my right index finger - which works well enough for my needs, luckily. I think I used to use the tip of my index finger

Good find!  I like him.

Elizabeth (scotty)

This is really beautiful.....it's in E flat......much easier that the original key of D. I just got a transposed copy from sheet music direct.

I do can tabs if anyone wants them

Can someone identify the instrument he's playing?

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 09:48:35 PM »
Gianluca Littera

Mission: Gabriel's Oboe

Good find!  I like him.

Elizabeth (scotty)

This is really beautiful.....it's in E flat......much easier that the original key of D. I just got a transposed copy from sheet music direct.

I should have identified it before --just did so now. He does play it beautifully. I tried, but my computer is stopping and starting all videos :( so could
only catch the occasional glimpse. It looks like a 16 - round hole mp, and I thought I might have seen an acrylic comb but then thought it was a long
chromatic mic attached instead? around 1:16 - 1:19. Closer to the end there were some better looks but the camera is on the other side of the conductor so he blocks the shots at all the wrong moments. ;)

Someone with a better lens (and eyes!) than me - might be able to figure it out. It could be a Hohner 280 or Suzuki or.....?

Elizabeth (scotty)

Offline Laina

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 04:03:06 AM »
Gianluca Littera

Mission: Gabriel's Oboe

Good find!  I like him.

Elizabeth (scotty)

I should have identified it before --just did so now. He does play it beautifully. I tried, but my computer is stopping and starting all videos :( so could
only catch the occasional glimpse. It looks like a 16 - round hole mp, and I thought I might have seen an acrylic comb but then thought it was a long
chromatic mic attached instead? around 1:16 - 1:19. Closer to the end there were some better looks but the camera is on the other side of the conductor so he blocks the shots at all the wrong moments. ;)

Someone with a better lens (and eyes!) than me - might be able to figure it out. It could be a Hohner 280 or Suzuki or.....?

Elizabeth (scotty)
Got me looking too ..on some other sites he has a Suzuki Chromatix 64

Offline Tonio50

• HELPER
  • Baby Button Pusher
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 08:47:22 AM »
I messaged him and asked him😃

It's a Suzuki SCX 64

Offline Eugene Ryan

• Chrome-Minator
    • Eugene Ryan, harmonica
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 11:51:32 AM »
Nice stuff. I wonder why it was transposed... hardly get the orchestra to to suit the harmonica in C solo-tuning default configuration?

Offline Winslow Yerxa

• HELPER
  • Chrome-Meister
    • Winslow Yerxa
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 05:30:00 PM »
I discourage using the thumb. It's poorly placed to operate the slide. It creates tension in the lower thumb and wrist, and can push the slide to grind against the housing. First or second joint of the index finger doesn't have those problems.

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 10:00:41 PM »
I discourage using the thumb. It's poorly placed to operate the slide. It creates tension in the lower thumb and wrist, and can push the slide to grind against the housing. First or second joint of the index finger doesn't have those problems.

Nice to hear some rationale behind my wincing while watching him play. I could imagine him 30 years on with his thumb/wrist completely immobile
with pain and in a splint :( - hopefully there will be some better joint treatments/preventative meds by then so he never does get to that stage.   

On a similar note, after watching Stevie play for years --I only recently paid attention to the fact that he's basically 'double-jointed' when he uses the tip of his index finger to push in the slide. It's probably helped him a lot with his speed but my fingers simply can't (and never were able) to do that. I wonder how many chromatic players can?

Elizabeth (scotty)

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 12:08:12 AM »
I use anything within reach to operate a slide. You can see me stabbing with thumb, side of hand, palm, and here I am using my forearm. Around 3:37.https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=AwrDQynuGYFa5V0A1_U0nIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByYXI3cnIwBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDBGdwb3MDNA--?p=summertime+smokey+joe+leone&vid=58eaa61f5ca96025decfd924c6ce1ac0&turl=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOVP.rqrK9cQ8zpY-7hX3cn2xQQEsDh%26pid%3D15.1%26h%3D225%26w%3D300%26c%3D7%26rs%3D1&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DFzlaRAHwmq4&tit=Joe+Leone+-+Angel+Eyes&c=3&h=225&w=300&l=269&sigr=11b8472mb&sigt=10msq4ipf&sigi=12r3jap4h&age=1188268976&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Av&fr=yhs-Lkry-SF01&hsimp=yhs-SF01&hspart=Lkry&tt=b

Well, that was really nice to hear again --can't believe it's been 10 years since I posted that comment on YouTube! I still want to play like you when I grow up for that matter, lol. You can have a much shorter link from YT if you want me to post that here for you? ** But---while you do use other parts of your hand and arm to hit the button, I paid close attention this time and you do have a 'favoured' way to play, using your index finger. You can't miss it. :)

Elizabeth (scotty)

**decided to do it anyway--here 'tis:

Joe Leone: Angel Eyes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzlaRAHwmq4

Online deepsouth

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Chrome-Tributor
  • Music of Language - Language of Music
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 12:21:38 AM »
Winslow is right.  I've used thumb for one-handed operation of a 10 hole chromatic pretty extensively,  and though I haven't noticed strain on the hand, I did deduce at one point that I was exerting stresses on the slide other than in the in/out direction.  Also caught myself not fully releasing the slide at times, but leaving slight pressure against it, causing sound leaks from neighboring holes.  Wondered what was wrong with my harmonica... discovered it was me.  Use of the thumb can become a habit -   I've played away for a while on my "good" harps, 16's and such, before realizing I was thumbing just like during practice.  The thumb can operate quickly and accurately while playing, but I'm a little convinced it's not to be recommended.

Online smojoe

• MasterMeister
  • virgo
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 10:01:23 AM »

Unless you have knurling on your concave button (like Hering) using the thumb can cause disastrous slippage. Like on smooth convex buttons (Hohner). Winslow is right, do it the right way.

smo-joe

Offline Edward Brock

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Meister
  • I Love That Sound
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 12:37:54 PM »
Beautiful playing Joeseph. I love listening to you. I had to listen to a bunch once I got started.
And BTW, this is just another Perfect Example of how well a person can play a chromatic harmonica
Without that Stupid DK slider piece of Cr&P.

Online smojoe

• MasterMeister
  • virgo
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 01:20:47 PM »
Thanks Scotland the heroic & Ed H.&R. Brock. I appreciates it. I usually use the crease where my right forefinger joins my palm Ms. Tartan. That way if there IS some slippage it is usually TOWARDS the middle finger's web. and not completely off the palm. I angle that way and you can see that I am very very limp wristed. The thing is to relax when playing. Strain just leads to pain. lolol.

smojehovitz

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 11:04:06 PM »
Thanks Scotland the heroic & Ed H.&R. Brock. I appreciates it. I usually use the crease where my right forefinger joins my palm Ms. Tartan. That way if there IS some slippage it is usually TOWARDS the middle finger's web. and not completely off the palm. I angle that way and you can see that I am very very limp wristed. The thing is to relax when playing. Strain just leads to pain. lolol.

smojehovitz

that's actually about where I 'hit' it too, well 'press' in my case.  ;) Mostly the base of the pad of my index finger, but the crease as well. But having tension in my hands when playing isn't why I suddenly had problems in my thumbs and wrists (both hands) if that's where you were going. It's likely the years of non-stop hours of heavy typing and other actual grueling hard work I did sparing nary a thought that my hands wouldn't always be AS strong as they were forever. Who knew? Having underlying medical problems such as thyroid (mine's been irradiated) or severe anemia (which can dramatically exacerbate osteoporosis) can weaken one's bones so fractures occur 'like that'. So for anyone here who relies on their hands for any reason (especially playing instruments), keeping blood work up to par and all underlying illnesses in check with the right meds is SO important. Good supplements can help too. My iron count was in the single digits before it was noticed (even the nurses who work with mostly chemo patients were amazed I was still upright, mobile and talking)...so playing 'catch-up' with constant infusions comes just a bit too late for me. :( I don't believe replacement wrists are available yet, but I'd likely be a candidate. 

Meanwhile, I do what I can to work around the obstacles. MY thumb issues are why I winced when I see people playing with such an extended and angled thumb. There might be far easier ways to play using a thumb with fingers held closer together? But if you hold a chromatic in both hands--it seems to fall naturally into the base of the index finger.

Elizabeth (scotty)

Offline Sea Born

• Space Cadet
  • HELPER
  • Baby Button Pusher
    • SeabornSong.com
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2018, 01:03:43 PM »
When I first came to this site, there were folks like you, SmoJoe, who seemed to know what they were talking about.  But Holy Harmonica, Batman!  Can some of you folks play, or what!?  Yow!  Thanks for the inspiration! 
“Do it again on the next verse, and people think you meant it.”  
― Chet Atkins

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2018, 06:43:21 PM »
When I first came to this site, there were folks like you, SmoJoe, who seemed to know what they were talking about.  But Holy Harmonica, Batman!  Can some of you folks play, or what!?  Yow!  Thanks for the inspiration!

AND he initially didn't even want them posted on SlideMeister!  ::)  Were you able to see any of the other songs he played at that same Buckeye?
SummerTime, etc.? If not I can likely find them and put them here as well, if you'd like. :)

Elizabeth (scotty)

Online smojoe

• MasterMeister
  • virgo
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 09:15:12 PM »
Rapunzel with the golden stair of hair, I don't think petite fleur was necessarily talking about me. She probably landed on other people's stuff. She did mention 'some of you folks can play'. Ya know what I liked? That guy last week who did 'The way we were'? or some other one that Hayman once did. It was super nice because he didn't junk it up with a bunch of bovine excretia notes.. lolol. Man, lots of great players here. Too numerous to mention.

My initial intention was merely to show that even a forearm can be used..IF one has a mind to. And if you hadn't put those videos on you tube I wouldn't have had the chance to show things that I have talked about. Like slide stabbing (on another video), button flicking (still another), slapping, smears, etc. I'm only trying to help. Honest. :) My good fortune is that I don't have injuries like ya'all and SO many other great people have. So far anyway. Shattered face/jaw is now 29 years ago and it doesn't bother me any. Not skeletal. Frankentein monster say: Internal & skeletal  bad....bad head? good.  :)   

smoj

Offline Sea Born

• Space Cadet
  • HELPER
  • Baby Button Pusher
    • SeabornSong.com
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2018, 12:56:23 PM »
I don't think petite fleur was necessarily talking about me. She probably landed on other people's stuff. She did mention 'some of you folks can play'.
smoj
Ooh!  I'm a petite fleur?  Cool! 
It was indeed YOU, Joe, who was my intro to groovy jazz harp by real live people on SlideMeister.  Don't hide your harp under a bushel!  I really enjoy listening to you. 
I expanded it to 'some of you folks' because I now know there are others who inspire me.  I'm making a list. 
I was listening to a guy named Chris Bauer, and I thot, "Wow! Love that harp sound; wonder what he's playing? ... It's a Seydel Orchestra!  I have a Seydel Orchestra!  Why don't I sound like that?"  Oh, well.  Any day now, ha ha.
If I were more technologically competent, I'd put some of you lot on a CD so I could listen to groovy harp playing anytime.
“Do it again on the next verse, and people think you meant it.”  
― Chet Atkins

Offline Carl SC270

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2018, 02:03:05 PM »
Chris plays the regular Saxony and Orchestra. Seydel Overtones Sessions 13 with Chris Bauer and P.T. Gazell at Spah 2017 will demo how Chris gets his tone. Interesting video, check it out.

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2018, 10:26:40 PM »
I don't think petite fleur was necessarily talking about me. She probably landed on other people's stuff. She did mention 'some of you folks can play'.
smoj
Ooh!  I'm a petite fleur?  Cool! 
It was indeed YOU, Joe, who was my intro to groovy jazz harp by real live people on SlideMeister.  Don't hide your harp under a bushel!  I really enjoy listening to you. 
I expanded it to 'some of you folks' because I now know there are others who inspire me.  I'm making a list. 
I was listening to a guy named Chris Bauer, and I thot, "Wow! Love that harp sound; wonder what he's playing? ... It's a Seydel Orchestra!  I have a Seydel Orchestra!  Why don't I sound like that?"  Oh, well.  Any day now, ha ha.
If I were more technologically competent, I'd put some of you lot on a CD so I could listen to groovy harp playing anytime.
See? I knew you meant him (among others). He always deflects and demurs...didn't want his vids posted initially (10 years ago) ::) - but people find so
much inspiration in them (Danny G was the videorecorder for all of those, btw).  Chris Bauer is someone who regularly came to Spah and some of the other conventions I went to ...

...imagine this: me - getting to sit beside our late friend (and super loveliest guy ever) Michael Polesky during a late night jazz jam at the last New Jersey Garden State Festival...just listening in, chatting with him and enjoying the moment --with Chris Bauer running the jam - and Michael's great friend David (our own Jazmaan here) up singing, scatting and playing along. I don't think I recorded that jam - might have but was just too full of emotion (we already knew it would be Michael's last trip due to his serious illness) ....so I don't remember if I turned on my camera or not. I did for the big show (after the banquet) - which was incredible. I think you'll just have to figure out how to get here again for Spah 2018 (in August, St. Louis, Missouri).  ;D

Elizabeth (scotty)

Offline Gnarly He Man

• AKA Gary
  • MonsterMeister
  • "Different harmonicas for every occasion"
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2018, 11:33:56 PM »
Chris Bauer is now endorsing Suzuki--
http://www.suzukimusic.com/harmonicas/artist_profiles/
His is the last profile on this page.