Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I love the idea of harmonicas in counterpoint, and you pull it off admirably.
I also appreciate the thinking -  connecting this Bach piece with your instrument of preference.
I'm inclined to hear like the earlier commenters regarding bends in this context.
But hey, you're fearless.  Beethoven hair, bro.
YouTubeMeister / Re: Super Mario Bros Underwater Theme Harmonica Quartet
« Last post by BeauKim on Today at 10:52:41 PM »

Very unique, but it gives me flashbacks.
[/quote]

I hope they’re good flashbacks.
Handsome 280, man.
Yep! I gotta get me one of those! 8)
Beautiful job, Jase!
GENERAL CHROMATIC DISCUSSION / Re: MORE BETTER RECORDINGS OF "TOOTS"
« Last post by MickyG on Today at 10:30:14 PM »
Great story Elizabeth! Sometimes even a few seconds of a melody heard in the background can drive me bonkers :o :o

Anyway, I called Kjazz 88.1 and the young lady took my number and said the DJ (or 'host' as they are now called) will call me ::) ::)...I won't hold my breath, but you never know, he's an oldie like me so perhaps he will understand ;) ;)
As I said before...and the more I think about it the more obvious it is, is that this was Toots guesting on an album, so even if I find out which album, I guess the likelihood of finding a copy will be highly UNlikely...but again, we never know until we try...
Tomorrow is Saturday...the show is only on 2 days a week - Sat & Sun -  and this 'host' has a habit of playing the same records over and over, so I will be listening with bells on...!!
MickyG
Oh, you HAVE to keep us apprised! Keeping my fingers crossed that someone left him a note and he plays it again! - I'm wondering if you call or email the station (or this 'host' directly) and leave him a message about just how much Toots means to you -and this tune in particular?) AND that you want
to find out so much more about it? These people love finding other music lovers --especially for the genres they play.

Hoping this works out for you - and us! - because I'd so love to hear it too! :)

Elizabeth (Scotty)

Unfortunately Johnny doesn't seem to have his own email address - at least he doesn't make it public if he does - but somehow or other I'm gonna find that record!! >:( >:(
MickyG
GENERAL CHROMATIC DISCUSSION / Re: Seydel Symphony 16 Hole - Early Review
« Last post by Scotty on Today at 10:27:17 PM »

Thanks smo-joe.  You have given me goals.  Reviews when my Symphony is 5, 10 &15 years old.  At my current age of 76, that is quite a challenge. :)

Even as a youngster of 63, I'm not worried too much about how my Symphony will work in 10 or 15 years.
I 'm just hoping Canada Post delivers it before I kick the bucket.   ;D

;D ;D Now THIS made me laugh out loud!

Elizabeth (scotty)
« Last post by Scotty on Today at 10:13:04 PM »
The thing I miss most about Michigan is the Ed Love Radio show on WDET.
When I returned from the service and went to school he got me through lots of night in the lab, and studying, and commuting. He has a beautiful voice, tells great stories and exposed me to Toots, Miles, Coltrane, and so much great music I never would have heard before. 
One day with bad reception on my classic rock station, a quick scan of the dial, and he changed everything for me. Before that I heard music on the radio, but don’t think I ever LISTENED.

I LOVED this story, Eric. My husband is also a classic rock (and doowop) fan, so that's all I ever heard at home (not knocking classic rock, I still love it!), but stumbling upon that station that day--and now getting to play radio stations ON my computer and on my satellite tv is so incredible! I can choose whatever genre of music I like for a particular mood.

I think it also spurred our own huge collection of CD's. Connecting with KYOT (James Earl Jones I believe did the voice over for the 'co-YO-te' and we'd look forward to hearing his voice every year we went to Phoenix on vacation)...meant we HAD to sign up to buy their Jazz compilation albums for at least 12 - 15 years (sold at Christmas for fundraisers).

I'd usually only listen to one or two tracks initially, but am NOW replaying a lot of them and discovering people I now recognize --and phenomenal tunes and songs I didn't know earlier. I won't get rid of my CD collection no matter how much digital music is available--the sound is so much richer to my ears--and I get to upload them to my computer AND then onto my ipod to carry with me, so my CD's stay pristine. Well worth the initial costs, imho.

Even R&B songs from the '70's I already loved, I'm now hearing the lyrics in a whole new way...so I understand completely. There just isn't enough time in the day to accommodate all the music I want to hear. :)

Elizabeth (scotty)
PS: I had NO IDEA who Toots was until joining the harmonica world, and am now entirely enamoured of his playing --even more so these earlier tracks. What an incredible legacy he left.
« Last post by Scotty on Today at 10:01:10 PM »
Great story Elizabeth! Sometimes even a few seconds of a melody heard in the background can drive me bonkers :o :o

Anyway, I called Kjazz 88.1 and the young lady took my number and said the DJ (or 'host' as they are now called) will call me ::) ::)...I won't hold my breath, but you never know, he's an oldie like me so perhaps he will understand ;) ;)
As I said before...and the more I think about it the more obvious it is, is that this was Toots guesting on an album, so even if I find out which album, I guess the likelihood of finding a copy will be highly UNlikely...but again, we never know until we try...
Tomorrow is Saturday...the show is only on 2 days a week - Sat & Sun -  and this 'host' has a habit of playing the same records over and over, so I will be listening with bells on...!!
MickyG
Oh, you HAVE to keep us apprised! Keeping my fingers crossed that someone left him a note and he plays it again! - I'm wondering if you call or email the station (or this 'host' directly) and leave him a message about just how much Toots means to you -and this tune in particular?) AND that you want
to find out so much more about it? These people love finding other music lovers --especially for the genres they play.

Hoping this works out for you - and us! - because I'd so love to hear it too! :)

Elizabeth (Scotty)
I'd imagine that they would only really have to modify the low reeds, the others should be regular reeds, just moved up a few holes. :)

I think you're right --when it come to the configurator, but I've heard otherwise when it comes to physically retuning an already existing C-reedplate,
and that it involved using a LOT of solder on a ton of reeds, so that definitely would have to play into the overall decision.

I'm still kind of torn and need persuading one way or the other. I love giving my business to 'hands-on' people, but having it made 'perfectly' directly
from the company is very appealing as well.

Elizabeth (scotty)
Harmonica Organizations & Events / Re: Buckeye 2018
« Last post by Scotty on Today at 09:43:01 PM »
Here is an updated (February 23, 2018) Buckeye 2018 Festival Flyer.
The original said to make checks payable to Buckeye 2018 - That is modified to say Make checks payable to Buckeye State Harmonica Club

Thanks, Danny --will get mine off, pronto.

Elizabeth (scotty)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10